fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Application help

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4887

• Erin Cook
  • Erin Cook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning,

I need some help with the applocation process. Can anyone recommend a great worksheet to map out the 4500 hours properly?

Also, how long should this process take and what is a realistic goal for scheduling and taking the exam?

Thank you,
Erin Cook

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4888

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Erin,

We no longer offer/update our experience verification worksheet because PMI keeps changing the application form so often that it became cumbersome to stay on top of things.

The best suggestion I have is for you to download the PDF application form www.pm-prepcast.com/pmpform and use this as your general guide.

However... be aware that even PMI is incapable of keeping the online application and PDF application in sync. There may be minor differences between the two.

Does anyone who recently filled in their application have any feedback on the time required?
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin Cook

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4889

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Hi Andrew,

It took me an entire day to fill the application form and about 3 months to study for the exam. Lot of variables decide that time line so if you can provide further details about your schedules I could provide a more appropriate estimate.

Hope this helps

Andrew Cook wrote: Good morning,

I need some help with the applocation process. Can anyone recommend a great worksheet to map out the 4500 hours properly?

Also, how long should this process take and what is a realistic goal for scheduling and taking the exam?

Thank you,
Erin Cook

Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4894

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
I agree with Cornelius, I didn't use any worksheet for such purpose, i relied on the application form as it automatically save all your updates till you complete the form and decide to submit.

Regarding the time line, I believe 3 to 4 months will be enough given you are already in a project management role with descent experience and dedicating around 2 hours per day with one week fully dedicated before the exam, that was my case.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4953

• Erin Cook
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Cornelius,
How specific do I need to be in the explanation of each of the five phases in the experience verification form?
Thank you,
Erin

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4963

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi Erin,

HI Erin,

I know you asked Cornelius, but I thought that I would add my own personal experience here.

When I was preparing for my application, I spent some time writing up the description separately. However, when I went to actually apply electronically, I believe that there was a character limit / length limit on that section that was actually rather concise. So my struggle ended up being how to cut things down sufficiently in order to fit.

I remember feeling like it was all very, very high level and didn't do adequate justice to all the work that I put into those projects! But since I had used all the available space I ended up submitting -- and had no issues.
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

Application help 9 years 4 months ago #4968

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
In addition to Steve's response, I'd like to add that it's not necessary for you to cover all five process groups in each of your work experiences, however overall it's required that you've worked on each of the process groups. When composing the project descriptions for each project, make good use of PMI® terms to demonstrate that you understand what project management is. Include terms found in the PMBOK® Guide like project charter, sponsor, scope, project deliverables, stakeholders, schedule, acceptance of deliverables, quality management, etc.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #4971

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Erin

I agree. I wrote up the summary of my experiences in draft and then went back and incorporated PMBOK terms where applicable. I had read about this tip online when I was researching how to fill out the application. It helped me to guide my focus. You really only need to highlight those tasks that demonstrate your project management experience. Good luck with your application!

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #4986

• CH
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1)For my recent 2 projects, I mainly worked on to produce the project deliverables which is developed the assigned module, can I include this project into my project experience for PMP application?

2) For the other project, I ONLY work on the testing and verification of the vendor's deliverable, can I include it as well?

3) And my current project is still on going, can I include the project into Project experience?

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #4987

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Erin, I found this link by typing in google search "pmp application verification form"
www.passionatepm.com/blog/probably-best-pmp-spreadsheet-world

There formats like this out there that you can fill in to tally up all your experience and then copy and paste the necessary blocks into the online PMP.org application.

Writing up the form should take a few days or a week as you have time to do it accurately.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erin Cook, JUNXIN ZHUANG

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #4988

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
CH, from the summary of your project work, it sounds like you have sufficient material to begin writing up the experience on the pmp application verification form. Remember that you will need 4,500 hours or 7,500 based on education level and three years of consistent involvement, distinct project management experience. The PMP.org site offers you the best guidance as they are the sponsors for the application and make the rules. Use their handbook throughout your application process.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #5007

• Erin Cook
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have one final question about the application....
I had years of doing the same 3 projects. I have the exact same work experience each year, we did not deviate from the project plan at all. Is it acceptable to have the exact same descriptions in the work experience boxes or is it advisable to reword the descriptions a bit?

Application help 9 years 3 months ago #5008

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Erin,

I don't think that there is any explicit guidance on this, but I would be hesitant to turn in an application that has three essentially duplicate entrires. I would choose to highlight different items on the different projects.

However, your statement that you've had "the exact same work experience each year" and that you've had "years of doing the same 3 projects" makes me wonder a bit -- by PMI's definition, a project is a temporary endeavour. Surely if these are indeed projects, they must be moving through their lifecycles, and each would have presented unique challenges and experiences over the course of the years that you've been working on them?
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

Application help 9 years 2 months ago #5082

• Erin Cook
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Great advice. Thank you Steve. I was able to report on different activities within each of the process groups for each year of the project.

Application help 7 years 10 months ago #7599

• Tim McLaren, MBA, PhD, PMP
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have to caution everyone about the cut-and-paste approach to just putting in a lot of PMBOK jargon in your application without including your specific context or project details. It is like a resume that has a bunch of meaningless buzzwords but no substance. PMI will just send you an email saying either your application is being audited or it was rejected and you should resubmit when you have a better understanding of the application process. [Blatant advertising removed by admin]
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login