fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 9 years 4 months ago #4837

• Abhirup Banerjee
  • Abhirup Banerjee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
To Memorize or not to Memorize ITTOs is often a good topic for debate.
But I am not going there now.

Lets solve this problem by looking at the point where we all agree. Well that is a type of conflict resolution is not it? ;)

That point of agreement is there are some I/TT/O which , if memorized can give us huge benefits in the exam.

Today I choose Expert Judgement, which is a Tools and Technique used in most processes but not all of them.Most probably because the Project Team and Project Manager can not ideally will like to go to experts for every decisons they have to make.

The Magic starts here:

You need to utilize the memory space theory. Ah! something like that. It says human brain remembers places better than other things. Well may be I did not remember the exact words. :P

www.wikihow.com/Plot-the-47-Processes-of...5,-in-3-Minutes-Flat

Read the above trick and understand it to remember the Table 3-1 from Page 61 PMBOK 5th Ed.

it took me 2 days to get it in my "memory palace" and I can download it anytime in a piece of paper.

I remember the exact position of the 47 processes in the Table.

Basically now you should be able to tell me which processes I am referring If I say the number 221.

221== Row2 Column 2 Cell 1=Plan Scope Management. And many more tricks like that :).

Enhance the Magic: What if I tell you that you can remember any crucial I/TT/O 's position in your memory palace?Do you believe me? But that is a topic of discussion may be in my next topics.Reason being that technique is little bit complex and needs some memory skill/practise.

So finally I come to today's topic. Phew!!

Expert Judgement using the memory palace and process of association.

Assumption:

Your memory palace has the picture of PMBOk Page 61.

And

You have made the memory Dump in a piece of paper.
[10X5 matrix]

Now get the following keys to your memory :

Xpert judgement (I like X coming first in Expert Judgement, I will explain the reason latter. For now think of expert judgement as X) is a TT for every process in Integration Management. So Row 1 is full with X.Visualize the picture.cross with one solid line in your paper. See yourself doing it. Again ! visulization is important here!!

So now you remember forever that every processes in First row[Integration] and First column[Initiation PG] have x.
While reading the following statements also try to visualize the matrix you just created.
It goes like IPEM&CC(I prefer Extra Mac&Cheese Cold)[The process Groups]

Now your brain is prepared to take my riddle. Here it goes!!

Xperts DON'T Collect Samples of DumbSchollers in Quacks as a Common Plan , rather they Directly Condemn Practises eating iMac&Chease while watching CrimeComedies with Manslaughter & Cannabies.

Read it and visualize the matrix.....

I am talking about Xpert Judgement(Off course you did not forget that yet!!).
They DONT do what?

DONT Collect Samples of DumbSchollers in Quacks as a Common Practice

Get the hint? XPerts are NOT part of these processes Collect Requirements,Sequence Activities,Develop Schedules,Quality Plan,Communication Plan[All in Planning Column.. come on , you are still visualising the matrix correct? Planning is the 2nd Column of PG]

Rather they are part of following processes

rather they Directly Condemn Practises eating iMac&Chease while watching CrimeComedies with Manslaughter & Cannabies

Direct&Manage Work,Conduct Procurement,[Executing Process Group..correct you are visualizing the matrix, Column 3 Executing],M&C and Integrated Change Control,Control Communication,Manage Stakeholder Engagement[Controlling process group , Column 4] , Closing [Column 5 Closing PG] .

While you were reading the riddle you are putting one x for the candidates from second part of the riddle:
[Direct&Manage Work,Conduct Procurement,[Executing Process Group..correct you are visualizing the matrix, Column 3 Executing],M&C and Integrated Change Control,Control Communication,Manage Stakeholder Engagement[Controlling process group , Column 4],Closing [Column 5 Closing PG] ]

After completing pass1 you put x all the other places except the DON'T processes.[DON'T Collect Samples of DumbSchollers in Quacks as a Common Practice]=[Collect Requirements,Sequence Activities,Develop Schedules,Quality Plan,Communication Plan]

So the final matrix have the cells/processes marked with x.

TIP: Close Procurement does not have x.Just remember this one as a Fact.Read the FACT: Only the first Row and first Column Only have the "Solid line", the line telling you all processes of first row [Project Integration Management]and Initiation PG [First Column]have X as TT.The 5th Column does not have any "Solid Line" , so "not all" processes have X as TT there.

Note: Thank you Sir Harry Loyrane!!

If this concept gets accepted here I would like to share more memory magics that can help PMP aspirants :). DO let me know!! :D and do not watch too much Crime Comedies ;)
IMPOSSIBLE Itself says I M POSSIBLE
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner. Reason: URL to wikihow was broken

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 9 years 4 months ago #4842

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Thanks for the tip Abhirup. But do ensure you also get a holistic view of how the ITTOs and process connect with each other, as the exam tests your understanding more than regurgitation and it's almost never a direct plug and play.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abhirup Banerjee

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 9 years 4 months ago #4844

• Joy Iyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I must say that being able to remember all ITTO would be great. I however realized early on that this would be a challenge for my intellectual capabilities. I also picked up from various sources, including the PM Prepcast, that it is not really necessary to memorize the ITTO, but would be enough to get a general understanding of which ITTO would be logically applicable to which process groups.

I can confirm that when I walked into the exam centre I did not remember most ITTO by heart. Also, there were quite a few questions related to ITTO, which were tackled by careful consideration of the question and logical elimination of the options provided.

I am glad to say that I got a Proficient score in the test overall.

I am mentioning the above for the benefit of those who may get the impression from the original post that ITTOs need to be memorized to pass the PMP. It's a nice to do, but quite challenging and not at all essential in my personal opinion and based on experience.
Joy Iyer, PMP, FS Eng (TÜV Rheinland, SIS, PH&RA) & Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abhirup Banerjee

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 9 years 4 months ago #4858

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Abhirup,

If I see this right, then the "official" name of the technique you are using is called The Method of Loci. It is a is a mnemonic device adopted in ancient Roman and Greek rhetorical treatises. In basic terms, it is a method of memory enhancement which uses visualization to organize and recall information.

I have personally used this technique for my own PMP Exam preparation and it allowed me to recall every single ITTO without fail at the time. I didn't need to write down a single ITTO on my brain dump, because I had them all committed to memory. All of them. Perfectly!

I plan to include a section about The Method of Loci in my upcoming eBook on how to study and memorize ITTOs.

The great thing about the Method of Loci is that it allows you to memorize anything and everything you need. Not so good is the fact that it takes a decent amount of effort to memorize all 500+ ITTOs from the PMBOK Guide - and of course, you "only" memorized them. You haven't necessarily understood them.

So my recommended approach in the eBook will be that this is a great technique for memorizing "stuff" that does not come easily to you. First you should try and understand the concepts behind the ITTOs. This will be of more value to you in the long run for your career. But for those things that do not come easily to you (i.e. Table 3-1, certain formulas, or ITTOs from specific processes) I recommend using the Method of Loci.

In conclusion: This is an absolutely great technique for PMP Exam preparation, as long as it is not your primary technique but is instead used when necessary and appropriate - and it is up to YOU to decide when that is the case.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 5 years 6 months ago #15239

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Can you please convert the above write-up on piece of paper so that it can be clear..

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 5 years 6 months ago #15251

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 5 years 4 weeks ago #16900

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you. I was shocked that the test looks nothing like the book. this will help
Last edit: by .

Remember Important ITTOs easily with this Trick 5 years 4 weeks ago #16905

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You are welcome. Please do note article was written when PMBOK was Version 5. With the latest updates in PMBOK, some things needs to be customized. But I am sure one can make those minor changes based on the latest PMBOK. Best of luck for the exam.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login