fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 5 months ago #4798

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Cornelius Fichtner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
All,

I'm writing a new eBook with the goal of instructing students about how to memorize/study Inputs, Tools, Techniques and Outputs (ITTOs) from the PMBOK Guide.

I would also like to share techniques from my students and so I'd appreciate your input (pun intended!) for this new item.

Therefore, if you would like to participate then please write up your ITTO memorization/study technique and post it as a reply right here. If you'd like to remain anonymous, feel free to send it via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you all for your participation!
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 5 months ago #4801

• Craig Arcuri
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I felt that an attempt to memorize all the ITTOs was a very daunting task. So I tried to look for ways to understand core concepts and process flow that could be a substitute for complete memorization. I focused on just a handful of diagrams in the PMBOK to do this:

Page 59, Figure 3-5. Project Data, Information and Report Flow
• Work Performance Data is output from execution and input to controlling processes.
• Work Performance Information is output from Controlling Processes and input to Overall Project Control.
• Work Performance Reports are output from overall project control and input to Project Change Control, Project Management Plan, and Project Communications.

Getting a feel for practice exams, it quickly became clear that knowledge of the interaction between Process Groups would be a key. This led me to Chapter 4, Integration Management diagrams:

Page 67, Figure 4-3. Develop Project Charter Data Flow Diagram
It was easier for me studying this diagram to gain an understanding of the inputs to and Outputs from Develop Project Charter.

Page 73, Figure 4-5. Develop Project Management Plan Data Flow Diagram
Used this diagram to understand the myriad places for which the Project Management Plan is an input. And equally important, the Project Management Plan houses baselines, therefore several outputs from other processes are inputs to the Project Management Plan.

Page 80, Figure 4-7. Direct and Manage Project Work: Data Flow Diagram
A key here is recognizing that Direct and Management Project Work output (Work Performance Data) is input to all but one of the other knowledge areas Control process ( HR does not have a control process).

Page 87, Figure 4-9. Monitor and Control Project Work Flow Diagram
My favorite! I just had to know that ALL of the Control processes had outputs (Work Performance Information and a few other things) which were inputs to Monitor and Control Project Work. Useful!

Page 95, Figure 4-11. Perform Integrated Change Control Data Flow Diagram
Much of the same. All of the Control processes have outputs (in the form of change requests) which are inputs to Perform Integrated Change Control.

Page 101, Figure 4-13. Close Project of Phase Data Flow Diagram
This diagram helps clear up all that goes into closing a project or phase. For me, a stumbling block was understanding the difference between verify and accepting deliverables and that accepted deliverables are of course an input to Close Project or Phase.

I did attempt a Flash Card memorization of ITTOs, but my understanding of the above diagrams served me better on the actual test. There was a definite focus on how everything was tied together and questions which spanned multiple Process Groups.
Craig Arcuri, PMP, CSM
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius Fichtner, Wayne Reno, Sandeep Kulkarni

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4859

• Makkathai Ramakumar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just a few days before the real PMP exam, i did realise that quite a few questions were coming based on ITTO (either directly or indirectly). I started memorising the ITTO by first focussing on the Inputs and Outputs of each of the processes. After I was thorough with this, i then made an attempt to lear the TT of each process. Although i can't say i was thorough with TT's, i did make an attempt.

In the end, i do feel that knowing the ITTO's does give you an advantage and can easily make you get proficient in at least 2 more areas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius Fichtner

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4861

• José S. Morales, MBA, MSPM, PMP
  • José S. Morales, MBA, MSPM, PMP's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,

I´m also publishing a book, in spanish. Will be glad to review and provide inputs to your book.

Best regards,

José

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4862

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
José - Thank you for the offer. I already have a team of 3 PMPs both working on and reviewing this eBook. The eBook will only focus on the ITTOs. The goal is to keep it <15 pages with tips & tricks on ITTO study/memorization. Nothing more. Whereas yours is probably more like a complete study guide.
Until Next Time,
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4863

• Manlio Frizzi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,
i study both on pm-prepcast ad PMBOK vs 5. Then I produce spreadshhet that I use as flash card to memorize ITTO along with dependencies.
Cheers
Manlio

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4864

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Manlio,

Thanks for that idea. Just to make sure I understand this correctly... you input all the ITTO from the PMBOK Guide into a spreadsheet... right?

So how exactly did you input them... One ITTO per cell? Or all ITTO from a specific process into one cell?

Oh... also: did you print this as physical flash cards or did you just use this in the Excel file electronically?
Until Next Time,

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4865

• Abhimanyoo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,
I am out of town right now.Will be back by late afternoon tomorrow.
The way i got my IITOs is of course understanding the concept but as a side tool i used an excel sheet and some logic in it.So i don't need anyone to work with me or help me while doing the IITOs.I just plug in the INPUTS,T & T and OUTPUTS then check how many i have correct.
I can send u a sample of the file if you would like.
Thanks
Abhimanyoo

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4867

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Abhimanyoo,

It would not be proper for you to share the Excel sheet here through the forum. But it would be perfectly all right, if you wouldn't mind taking 2-3 screen shots of your sheet and showing them to us here. In that way we can see your approach, but you are not sharing the sheet.

Thank you!
Until Next Time,

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4875

• Nupur Rao (PMP)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I found it easier to remember the ITTO techniques according to the Process groups instead of knowledge areas. Output of Initiating phase becomes an input to the Planning phase and so on..
The most important output of Executing phase is the Deliverable and the Work Performance data., the output of the Control Process is the work performance information.
The rest of the inputs and outputs are easy to remember based on what knowledge area they belong to...
Since delivarables are checked and verified during control quality, Verified deliverable becomes an output of Control quality that gives an input to Validate scope.
Change requests are always outputs of Execution and Monitoring/Control process groups.

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4876

• Ivan Rivera, PMP
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Seems that all we made a spreadsheet.

Here is mine (in spanish):

usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_19CjAke_SsZXk5ZHdmckNPUDg/view?usp=sharing

One ITTO per line, gropued by Process group, knowledge area and process.

I use it in my PM Courses.

--
Iván Carlos Rivera González
Maestro en Administración de TI, SCPM, Project Management Professional
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
irpmp.com
ivanrivera-pmp.com/

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4880

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Looks like Ivan's screen shot somehow didn't "make it". Here it is...

Until Next Time,
Attachments:

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 4 months ago #4890

• Manlio Igino Angelo Frizzi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Do or do NOT. There is NO TRY!
  • Thank you received: 0
The spreadsheet should not repeat every process.
For each process group I do a TAB IN EXCEL, then I do not repeat the area, the process, etc...
If they are in a column I DO NOT REPEAT IT: this let me filter based on Whatever I want and see the dependencies.
So, my flash card are similar, but in my opinion, more usable and useful.

I do not print them. When finished I can read it with iPad excel reader, that makes the works as I've not to write it. With PMBOK vs 6 in the future i can modify on excel and continue reading on iPad.

Manlio
Manlio Frizzi aka AlephConZero or Aleph0
On the Internet since 1991.
Last edit: by Manlio Igino Angelo Frizzi. Reason: Add info

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 3 months ago #4998

• Vinod Kumar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Abhimanyoo,

Please share it.

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 3 months ago #5000

• Rohit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well , my technique was this -

1) Do NOT memorize ITTO's .(important)
2) Understand why each processes are placed at respective knowledge areas , and how to utilize them (very important)
3) Build real life example scenarios for each processes of ITTO's - as what you will do 'next' with each processes and why.(Utmost important)

Hope it helps.

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 3 months ago #5002

• Sarah Burden
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I agree that you do not need to learn all the ITTOs. The most important thing to learn is why the ITTOs are relevant to that knowledge area or process group. If you understand the process groups and knowledge areas and why a tool or technique is used then you will naturally understand the ITTOs. If you just learn them by rote then you will not understand them and you will not be able to pass the PMP exam.

PMP – ITTO BRAINDUMP (RANA’S CHART) – HACK 9 years 3 months ago #5012

• Rana Omer Hussain (PMP)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The easiest way to Learn cover 80% of questions replated to Input/Output of ITTO in PMP paper

Details : ranaomerhussain.wordpress.com/2015/01/05...mp-ranas-chart-hack/

Enjoy :) and keep in mind no need to memorize the ITTO always understand them (y)

Share your ITTO Technique for my new eBook 9 years 3 months ago #5013

• David Macaskill
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've given this a nanoseconds worth of thought, but I'd like to see a set of ITTO (common sense) rules. For example:
"All Executing and M&C processes can produce CRs".

I'm wondering if there is a Praeto principle here: 80% of the ITTOs can be deduced from a handful of common sense rules.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login