fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 6 months ago #4641

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Rahul Kakkar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Hi,

I was filling out my application form today and require certain clarifications / assistance in the same. The two broad areas I need assistance in:

1. Correctly classifying the process groups pertaining to my current job role
2. A possible review of my application form (specifically w.r.t. work experience) to ensure validity (permanent ban due to misleading / incorrect information has scared me to not make any unintentional mistakes).

Would this be the appropriate forum for both of the points above? If so, I'll post the details of my queries here.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 6 months ago #4643

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Rahul, you have asked for assistance in some broad areas and I propose some advice that I hope you can apply specifically to your situation because applying for the PMP certification requires individuals to deep dive into their professional experiences to yield the required data needed for approval by the PMI organization.

In the first area, my suggestion is to lay out a block chart on paper, if you wish, with the process groups at the top of the page. On the left side of the page, write the projects you've participated in rows. Underneath each, group, and by each row, brainstorm the work you've done for each project. This will get you started in the right direction of figuring out where your experiences intersect with the PMI accepted standard for process groups.

In the second area, my suggestion is to be absolutely confident in your experiences. I think many people in this forum respect your level of integrity and the seriousness to which you apply to this certification by the way you express your concern about the consequences. Thus, you should not focus so much on the "what if" scenarios that could cause you to be looked at with suspicion. Instead, focus on articulating your experiences in the areas that PMI requests in the application. The way to do this is going by the book, literally. As you fill out your application, cross check each experience by the definitions in the PMBOK v5 of the process groups and knowledge areas. As long as it fits, you should be sure that you're meeting the criteria PMI.org uses in reviewing applications.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rahul Kakkar

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 6 months ago #4644

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Michael! That definitely helps and I'll surely try your suggestion.

I need one clarification though - I'm currently working as a Bid Manager and as such my work involves responding to RFPs. As the PMBOK guide rightly states, each RFP contract is handled as a project in my company. However considering the industry I'm in, our RFP cycles are very short of only 3 week on an average. That would mean a lot of projects over 2 years. Do I have to list them all?! Is there a way I could instead consolidate that information?
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4645

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Rahul, I'd bet you have downloaded the PMP handbook from PMI.org which outlines eligibility requirements for certification and fees, etc. I've attached the handbook to this posting for the good of the readers who may need a copy.

Page 9-10 are the areas to look when trying to figure out what constitutes project experience. So you'd need 4,500 hours and a minimum of 36 months unique non-overlapping project manager experience.

You've described the work you do as very project-oriented and I understand why it might be cumbersome to lay out all that you did if each project is 2-3 weeks long.

Is there any way you can look at grouping projects you worked on as larger efforts within the company's strategy? Also, bear in mind, PMI is seeking "unique" experiences. Each part of the project you work may be the same, but then that type of work could be considered operations, not projects. Think back on the work you did. Were doing something different, were you in charge of most of the efforts for some projects. Capture those differences as unique project experience. Also, don't forget projects you might have run in a local club or local house of worship. Did you organize social/sports club fundraisers or neighborhood holiday parties? PMI doesn't mandate that all your project experience has to be from your place of work? If so, you may document this in your application as long as you have people to reference in the application where it asks who was the manager or person to verify that you participated in the experience.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator
Attachments:

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4646

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Let me expand a little more with an example. Let's say my company has a product suite containing 3 products - A, B and C.

For the last 24 months, I have been working with this company as a Bid Manager wherein we receive RFPs for our products, some for A, some for B, some for C and some for a combination of the same. Each bid is of a different client and as such as a different project which I manage as the requirements are not the same the deadlines vary albeit averaging out to 3 weeks per RFP.

Now if I have to list each of my project, that'll be at least 15 projects! having similar project activities as my job is to respond to RFPs but they are projects as they are unique (for a client) and temporary.

1. So do I list all 15 projects?
2. One way to group them is by products stating 5 RFP projects for Product A, 5 for B and 5 for C and adding their total hours and dividing them.
3. Or I just state that I work on Bid Management Projects as ONE entry in the form spanning two years with the cumulative hours totalled in?

I wish I had some small project RFP application forms to understand this better.

I hope I was clear in my explanation.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4647

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Rahul,
Michael makes some great suggestions. I would add that when I completed my application, I used projects from work, projects from volunteer work I did for my professional organization and other volunteer efforts. So as Michael mentioned, the hours do not have to come only from your job. I'd also like to direct you to page 10 of the PMP handbook Michael referenced. It addresses the issues of overlapping projects and how to record them. Hope this helps.

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4648

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi thanks,

I had posted a reply but I guess it didn't come through.

My follow-up question was that my projects are not overlapping per-say. Our RFP cycles are only 3 weeks long on an average and they are classified as projects for me by definition. Unfortunately going by my PMP application form, that would mean I'd have to list 20 projects considering the time I have been working with this company? Since that's how many RFPs I have worked on so far for different clients asking for various products offered by my company. Was wondering if that's the only way to go or is there a way Bid Managers consolidate their various RFPs projects as a whole for the PMP application.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4649

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
I guess you have to list all your projects
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4665

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
As a follow up to my request, I didn't get selected for an audit and PMI cleared my application and has deemed me eligible to take the exam.

For reference of future applicants in a similar dilemma, what I did was summarise all the similar but unique small projects I did in that duration and combined the hours as one work experience entry in the form.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 9 years 5 months ago #4674

• Dawn Upperman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Rahul,
Thank you for providing status of your application. So glad you were able to figure out a way to present your project experience. Also, congrats on getting approval of your application and without an audit. Best of luck as you study for and take the exam. Let us know if you have any questions during your exam prep.

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 6 years 6 months ago #11773

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Would you mind telling if you mentioned your Job Title as Bid Manager. I am in similar situation where my title is Manager- BUsiness Operations and I've done various small projects.

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 6 years 5 months ago #12074

• Travaar Armstrong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

I also have a similar scenario. I work as a project coordinator, but I have multiple projects that I over see at a time. I can ultimately be responsible for 5-10 projects per month and they last about a month per project. Should I include each individual project or sum everything up?

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 6 years 5 months ago #12079

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Travaar,

I would probably keep them as separate projects. It is important to note that the PMI handbook clearly states that in order to qualify to apply for the PMP certification you must have the required number of hours leading and directing a project or projects. Simply being a project contributor is not enough. You will need to include projects on your application for which you were legitimately the project manager, project leader or project supervisor. Note that any references you include will also need to confirm your role. Please review the PMP Handbook here: www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public...ssional-handbook.pdf

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aung Sint

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 6 years 3 months ago #12687

• S. L.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for sharing your application process and results. After grouping similar projects together, how many projects did you end up submitting on the application?

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 5 years 3 months ago #16012

• Sukhwant Badesha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Rahul

Can you please share the project description you had. How did you summarize all the similar but unique small projects. That will help me in writing my project experience.

thanks for your help!!

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 5 years 2 months ago #16413

• Kamiya Malhan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

I am a team lead for last 3 years in HR Domain(Operations) and do not have a direct Project Management Experience. I have just finished my PMP Training and concerned how I should I fill up the application form as it only requires experience in Project Management role. Please can you guide and help in filling up the form.

Many Thanks!
Kamiya

Assistance in filling out my PMP Application Form 5 years 2 weeks ago #16751

• Prakash Ravindran
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, I would like to get an expert opinion on my PMP application, I had already prepared my experience but, I need to get an opinion on the description before submitting,
here are the two projects I led and directed for your review.

Project: IT infrastructure Readiness across UAE for Landmark group Outlets
Outcome: deliver fully function IT setup with time budget and handover to business
Title: Assistant Manager IT
Manager: Thyagarajan

My role is to manage the project plan and Lead the team
IN: Initiate a meeting with team members by gathering information by a brainstorm
and conduct meeting with stakeholders and develop project charter obtain approval
PL: plan and assign team member for the site and provide responsibility to execute
MC: manage team status meeting either virtual or on premises, track schedule of each deliverable as planned,
assign responsibility to team members to execute the task (internal)
PL: update risk register, and stakeholder register accordingly
EX: communicate stakeholders for site readiness and audit the team quality of work carried out.
close all procurement invoice, payment to the vendor and prepare handover document and close the project and avail feedback from the business.

Project 2

Project: Execute IT Infrastructure readiness at outlets across UAE
Outcome: deliver complete IT readiness within target time budget and transition to support
Title: Team member
Manager
Client: Mubeen

My role in this project is to execute the project plan as directed by PM
IN: understand the key deliverables, visit the site identify and register the risk on
site condition, identify mall contractors, MEP on the site and update stakeholder register
PL: Plan IT vendor for schedule meeting for installation at site, coordinate with MEP and merge
your WBS along with MEP for the smooth commissioning of fiber&CAT-6 installation.
manage weekly meet and update internal stakeholders about the site status.
M&C: monitor & track deliverables like Network/windows/application are pre-installed and ready for dispatch to the site. audit the quality of work carried out by IT vendor & Internal Team,
prepare for pretest environment and follow checklist if all passed, update status report for go-live confirmation.
CL: prepare closure checklist and transition documents verify all information like (IT asset/network layout/Asset) are captured & validate the transition document sign-off
and get feedback sign-off from retail operation.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login