fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Constructive change and scope creep

Constructive change and scope creep 9 years 8 months ago #4545

• Oluwafunmilola James
  • Oluwafunmilola James's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all
Please I came across the term 'constructive change' under control procurement process group and its sounded like 'scope creep'. Online search via search engine ( www.theconstructioncontractreview.com/20...tructive-change.html ) defines constructive change as 'when a contractor performs work beyond the contracts requirements without a formal order'. This is sounding to me like scope creep. a search for difference between the two didn't yield any less-confusing result. Can I get some help here please? Thanks

Constructive change and scope creep 9 years 8 months ago #4546

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Scope Creep is the more general pattern of expanding the project beyond the agreed upon requirements between the project team and the stakeholders/customers. The simple example would be painting street lights on a road gold because it looks appealing, even if the customer didn't request the color and the standard gray pole color is sufficient. Your reference correctly defines constructive change. I think, based on my research during my PMP exam prep, that the idea behind constructive changes are more related to the contract close out process and any negotiating problems such constructive changes cause for the procurement manager. It may very well be scope creep, but I don't think the PMBOK associates both as one in the same.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

Constructive change and scope creep 9 years 8 months ago #4547

• Funmilola
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Michael,
Many thanks for your response. Your response seems to suggest they are the same when you say 'It may very well be scope creep'. Does it mean the only distinguishing factor is that constructive change has to do with procurement and scope creep with scope?

Constructive change and scope creep 9 years 8 months ago #4548

• Michael DeCicco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Yes, I am saying that. For the purposes of the exam, I think you will find that when scope creep is discussed, it is in relation to Scope Management and constructive changes are associated with the procurement/contract side of project management.
Yours Respectfully
Michael DeCicco, PMP
Community Moderator

Constructive change and scope creep 7 years 3 months ago #9360

• chris coan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So why use the term "constructive"?

Constructive change and scope creep 7 years 3 months ago #9433

• yhk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It seems the term is derived from the construction contract.
www.businessdictionary.com/definition/constructive-change.html

G 6 years 2 months ago #13189

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Simple and neat explanation

Constructive change and scope creep 6 years 1 month ago #13730

• Todd C. Williams
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My understanding is, yes, this is scope creep by the definition that scope creep is uncontrolled change; however, by a contracting officer (CO) being notified of the deviation there is an attempt to control it. It might be better termed as an incomplete understanding of requirements or change by implication. For a good reference on Constructive Change please see this article out of Georgia Tech: http://contractingacademy.gatech.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Constructive-Changes.docx
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login