fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ?

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 9 years 8 months ago #4470

• Subhajit Palit
  • Subhajit Palit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
PMBOK(5th Edition) Page-265 --> Resource Calender created as part of "Human Resource Management Plan".

Again in page-267 of PMBOK(5th Edition) : it says "Resource Calender" is created as output of "Acquire Project Team" process !!!

Which is correct then ?
Can anyone comment on this please ?

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 9 years 8 months ago #4471

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Subhajit.

There is no contradiction between what is mentioned in the PMBOK. As processes in the PMBOK are iterative and cyclic.
in the example below, Resources calendar is created during the "Plan Human resource management", at this stage you usually don't have exact names of your team so you create a high level calendar with the needed roles and the duration needed for each role. at later stages during the "Acquire project team", you have the exact resource names and their updated calendars (available time, planned vacations, other assignments, etc.), so at this stage you will be able to create a more detailed resource calendar.

The resource calendar will then be part of your project management plan which will get updated during the project life cycle during the project monitoring and controlling and other various activities.

hope this clears the confusion.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 9 years 8 months ago #4505

• Sven Gruendahl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi there,

I agree with Ahmed . The problem appears again and again during the first time students read the PMBOK stuff.
In the first step you need to learn all the processes + knowledge areas on page 61 and ITTO's . In the next step
you are able to identify how they are all linked together. As Ahmed has mentioned everything is iterative and cyclic.
Don't give up Subhajit it will be clearer and clearer !

Regards
Sven
Sven Gründahl, PMP, PMI-ACP & Community Moderator

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 6 years 11 months ago #10500

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I think part of the confusion is that you have to start somewhere. So where do you start? Does it matter? Why doesn't the PMBOK say start with X, then do Y, and improve this iteratively as you go?

Ahmed suggests that we first create the Resource Calendar during Plan HR Mgmt.... but the Resource calendar is an INPUT to Develop Schedule. So, then do we create a rough draft of the Resource Calendar before we get to Plan HR Mgmt, or are we only using RC as an input to Dev Schedule in a later iteration of the schedule?

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 5 years 1 month ago #16706

• Erdal Biberoglu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to bring up this subject , it is a simple document, but I can't understand when it is created in pmbok 6

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 5 years 1 month ago #16708

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Hi Erdal,

The Resource Calendar is the output of the Acquire Resource process in the PMBOK 6, you can refer to page 334.
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin

Salah Uddin 3 years 5 months ago #24213

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Resouce calendar is first created at acquire resource process and it is progressively elaborated and updated. It is not well described im PMBOK 6th edition in other than page 331

Salah Uddin 3 years 5 months ago #24600

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

What’s not clear is when is resource calendars first created as an output?
The reason I ask is that in pmbok6th edition it is also an input to acquire resources as well as estimate resources.

Regards,

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 2 years 11 months ago #27330

• Jodi-Lynn Sanders
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
the problem is, it is also an input to 9.2 Acquire Resources, as well as an output. There is no where in PMBOK 6 where is shows first as an output without also being an input. very confusing!!!

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 2 years 11 months ago #27356

• Amit Kawle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Since this question seems to be coming up regularly. I thought I would try to understand how exactly it appears in PMBOK and what is the trail here that we are missing.

1. PMBOK fails to clearly specify how Resource calendar is created the first time. Because that is the main question right. We know it is created as an output of Acquire Resources process. But then it is also an input to the same process.

Adding more to the confusion, it is also an input to the Estimate Activity Resources process.

One possible explanation to this is, it is an iterative process so inputs and outputs keep getting modified.

2. After all the discussion, it somehow does not make sense how exactly it gets created OR where does the information come from, which will be mentioned later in Resource Calendar.

For me, it would make some sense that it actually comes from EEF, in terms of database or information. All the information related Personnel either comes from EEF or gets updated as an output in EEF. If we look at the content of the resource calendar --> shifts, holidays, working days, start-end of business hours, possible parallel assignments on other projects, geographic location constraints.

I would be glad if someone else can also comment on this point of view.
Last edit: by Amit Kawle.

Which Process creates "Resource Calender" ? 2 years 11 months ago #27440

• Hassan Nehaili
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I m preparing my pmp certificate and i faced the same question like you. i think things are evolving as described below :

1- first part of the resouce management plan process is documented which described approach to estimate resources. At thé same time first high level resources calender is develoed containing pm and other resources that we khow they Will be certainly assigned to the project.

2-procss estimate activity resources is carried out. Type and quantity of resources are détermined and à second resources calender version is updated integrating resources types and their durations.

3-process acquire resources is carried out. Thé effective resources assigned are known exactly.
The detailed version of resource calender is then developed as uptadting the second version of it.

Thanks to complete or comment this way of seeing things
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login