fbpx

Reply: Communication types question

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Communication types question

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 11 months ago #4179

Cornelius Fichtner

Ashwin,

It depends on the communication method and choice of media:
  • If we are trying to solve a problem by requesting feedback through surveys or using the Delphi technique, then I would consider this to be "formal written".
  • If we are doing the same thing just by sending emails, chats or text messages back and forth, then it's "informal written".
  • If we are inviting everyone to a meeting with a clearly defined agenda and timetable in order to determine a root cause, then it would be "formal verbal"
  • But if we happen to come across an expert in our company's coffee corner and strike up a root cause conversation with her, then that is clearly "informal verbal".
So you see that the "How" is important. You cannot just simply say "solving a complex problem = formal written" without knowing all the aspects of the communication.
9 years 11 months ago #4178

Ashwin Kini

I read on the Rita Mulcahy book in the following situations:-

Trying to solve a complex problem = Formal Written
Trying to discover the root cause of a problem = Informal Verbal

I would like to know what is the difference we notice between them to have these specific communication types applied?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login