fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Did I pass the PMP exam or not?

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30849

• Hassan Yousuf
  • Hassan Yousuf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I recently took an online Pearson exam for PMP, and after the exam, they informed me that the decision would be available after 5 working days. However, a few minutes later, I received an email with a score report indicating that I had passed. My PMI account hasn't been updated.

Should I wait for the full 5 days for the official decision, or should I let everyone know that I have passed?

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30850

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Hassan,

If you were notified that you passed, then you passed. I have not ever heard of an incident where a "Passed" notification went out and the candidate did not pass.

The time it takes for PMI to update is quite variable. For me (2019) it was hours. I've heard it take the full 5 business days as well. Just keep checking back from time to time to find the update.

Congratulations. The PMP exam is not an easy one.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30851

• Harry Elston
Hassan,

Well - it looks like things have changed. See this video note from Cornelius:

www.project-management-podcast.com/podca...ed-security-measures

Harry
+++++

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30852

• Dominic Hickey
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
When I saw the OP's message I was thinking of that, too, Harry. But unless Hassan took his exam in the last fourteen hours, the security enhancements likely don't apply.

In PMI's document on the subject
www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public...4f09b0e6b90afe3b157f
they state only that implementation was starting "on Monday, 25 September 2023 (EST)", so we don't know what time it went live.

It's an interesting change, nonetheless. Even before this, I would have avoided taking a Pearson VUE exam online, due to the all the stories we read in these Forums of candidates having sessions closed by proctors for no apparent reason. While some will not have been innocent -- and therefore deserve everything they get in punishment IMO -- there are bound to be false accusations generated by an automated system. Now, if such innocent candidates are forced to retake entirely at their own expense... that's unjust. Yet another reason to take an exam in a testing centre if at all possible.
Dominic Hickey, PMP
Last edit: by Dominic Hickey.

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30853

• Harry Elston
Dominic,

I too have counseled against using the "online" version. There are just too many things that can go wrong - from a wonky net connection to an over-zealous camera watcher that sees shadows and cancels the exam. Just gut it out and do it in in person at a testing center where there less chance of ambiguity.

Harry
+++++

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 3 days ago #30855

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
I agree with Harry and Dominic... taking the exam at a testing center is always your safest option.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 1 day ago #30859

• Alan Mc
  • Alan Mc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Dominic,

Am I missing something?

Having scanned through the press release from the PMI I couldn't find a specific reference that this new policy applies only to the exam taken via the Online Proctored Testing (OBT) format and not to the exam taken via the Centre Base Testing (CBT) format.

Does anyone know if this applies to the OBT format only or to both the OBT and CBT format?

Regards,

Alan

Did I pass the PMP exam or not? 7 months 1 day ago #30860

• Harry Elston
Alan,

Watch Cornelius' video. He does a good job of explaining what's what.

Harry
+++++
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dominic Hickey
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login