fbpx

Reply: How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
2 years 6 months ago #28188

Harry Elston

Avnish,

The concepts behind the PMP are more-or-less applicable to all projects. The individual methods - broken into two camps, Agile and Waterfall - incorporate all the concepts however they are executed differently.

I have said it before on the boards: I am not, per se, a "project manager" in that I don't do that as a profession. However, as a consultant, I must manage projects professionally. From that perspective, that is where I have found the highest value of the PMP certification. Studying for the PMP exam opened my eyes on how to better serve my clients in the projects that I execute for them.

So, I think it's very relevant, regardless of the method of project management used.

My 2-cents.

Harry
2 years 6 months ago #28187

Kyle Kilbride, PMP

I would say that the fundamentals translate very well to manufacturing and/or construction heavy environments. You are correct that we are seeing more focus on agile, but I view this as being a complement to existing waterfall methodologies. For instance, I typically employ some agile strategies early on in my projects (I work in a construction environment in oil refining) to help align on scope / alternatives selection. Then later stages of the project would take more of a traditional waterfall approach. The more tools you have in your toolbelt the more you'll be able to adapt a unique approach specific to your project and add value. I would say the PMP is still very useful and relevant in this regard.

Kyle
2 years 6 months ago #28186

Avnish Thakkar

's Avatar

How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries considering PMBOK new editions blending more of agile concepts which more relevant to software or electronics industry?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login