fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries?

How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries? 2 years 6 months ago #28186

• Avnish Thakkar
  • Avnish Thakkar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries considering PMBOK new editions blending more of agile concepts which more relevant to software or electronics industry?

How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries? 2 years 6 months ago #28187

• Kyle Kilbride, PMP
  • Thank you received: 49
I would say that the fundamentals translate very well to manufacturing and/or construction heavy environments. You are correct that we are seeing more focus on agile, but I view this as being a complement to existing waterfall methodologies. For instance, I typically employ some agile strategies early on in my projects (I work in a construction environment in oil refining) to help align on scope / alternatives selection. Then later stages of the project would take more of a traditional waterfall approach. The more tools you have in your toolbelt the more you'll be able to adapt a unique approach specific to your project and add value. I would say the PMP is still very useful and relevant in this regard.

Kyle
Regards,
Kyle Kilbride, P.Eng, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

How relevant is PMP today for heavy/manufacturing industries? 2 years 6 months ago #28188

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Avnish,

The concepts behind the PMP are more-or-less applicable to all projects. The individual methods - broken into two camps, Agile and Waterfall - incorporate all the concepts however they are executed differently.

I have said it before on the boards: I am not, per se, a "project manager" in that I don't do that as a profession. However, as a consultant, I must manage projects professionally. From that perspective, that is where I have found the highest value of the PMP certification. Studying for the PMP exam opened my eyes on how to better serve my clients in the projects that I execute for them.

So, I think it's very relevant, regardless of the method of project management used.

My 2-cents.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login