fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part)

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24090

• Pascal Wollny
  • Pascal Wollny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
HI all,

can someone please clarify the EXACT timing procedure for the proctored exam, as per below?

1. are the 240 mins including or excluding the 10 mins break?
2. assuming "built-in" means the break is part of the 240 mins - are first and second section strictly split into 120 mins each, i.e. does the proctor automatically end the first section as soon as one hits the 85-100 questions range and then I (hopefully) have X mins for reviewing marked ones until 120 mins are over? or is there an option to review marked questions earlier (e.g. at question 80), use up say 100 mins (then inform proctor to skip the break) and have 140 mins left for questions 81-200?

Just to manage expectations/prepare mentally. Thanks in advance.

"For PMP and PMI-PBA, there is a built-in 10-minute break that will appear after you complete the first exam section (between 85 – 100 question). Once you finish the section you will be able to review all of your responses prior to entering your break. Please note, once your 10-minute break is over, you will not be able to return to the questions from the first section of the exam. Once your 10-minute break is over, your proctor will check you back in and you will finish the second and final part of your exam. If you do not return to the room at the conclusion of your 10-minute break, your exam session will be terminated. You will not be permitted to take any additional breaks during the exam for any reason and leaving your desk will invalidate your score."

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24096

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Pascal,

I totally agree this is important to understand, to be mentally prepared for the real exam.
My interpretation of the reason why they call it a "built-in" break is that it is not up to the candidate to decide when to take a break, but it is somewhat pre-arranged. As you correctly reported, PMI and PearsonVUE refer to the break as starting between 85-100 questions; in my case, it was after the first 89 questions.

1. The 240-mins exam duration excludes the 10-min break, which is extra time.
2. There is no specific duration for each of the two parts: the countdown timer pauses whenever you enter the break, and restarts (from where you left) either at the end of the break or when you stop the break—as 10 minutes is the maximum allowed duration for the break, but if you want to go for the second part of the exam before the 10 minutes pass you can just stop the break and continue with the exam.
A 10-min countdown timer appears on the screen when the break begins, so you always know how much time you have left. Also, the audio/video recording remains active for the entire break.

Please, notice that the time you spend reviewing any marked questions (in each of the two sections) is still part of the 240 mins; the timer pauses only when you submit the questions, after you reviewed them.

You also have the option to skip the break—as you mention, but this will not affect the exam being split into two parts. You will need to submit the first set of questions, then you are offered the opportunity to either start or skip the break, and then you will go for the next set of questions (with or without the break).

Hope this answers your questions.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24104

• Pascal Wollny
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Gabriella - I'm still a little confused. when you say "There is no specific duration for each of the two parts" does that mean when the proctor prompts for the upcoming break I cannot answer any more questions in the first part but technically spend more or less than 120 mins (including reviewing marked questions) and then use the remaining time (more or less than 120 mins accordingly) for the second part?

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24110

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
That's correct, Pascal.
Assume the first part is based on 89 questions (as it was in my case); once you answer the 89th question, the system prompts you that you completed the first part pf the exam, and invites you to review your questions before the submission. In fact, you have the option to revise them all, or just focus on the marked questions (I chose the second option). As soon as you finish reviewing the questions, you submit them (the system will ask you twice for confirmation, warning that you will not be able to access them again), and the timer pauses, (say) at 135 minutes left.
Now you have the option to take a break or move on to the second part. Once the second part begins, it will start with question #90 and 135 mins for you to complete the second part.

Hope this clarifies what I meant in my previous message.

Gabriella

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24114

• Charlie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank for this insight, it is very useful in preparing for the exam.
Is one allowed to leave the desk for those 10 minutes to grab a glass of water for example?
Carlo

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24120

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sure, Carlo: even though the audio/video recording will remain active during the break, you are allowed to leave the desk. I'm not sure whether you are allowed to bring the glass back to your desk—as you are supposed to keep it clean and empty—so just to be 'conservative' I drank water and had a small snack in my kitchen, before going back to my desk to resume the exam after the break.

Glad you found it useful, and always happy to help!

Gabriella

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 6 months ago #24121

• Pascal Wollny
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Many thanks Gabriella - all clear now.

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 5 months ago #24324

• Khal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Gabriella,

Are you allowed at this point (during the 10 min break) to check your notes and review stuff?

Thanks

Online Exam Arrangement (1st part - break - 2nd part) 3 years 5 months ago #24438

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Khal,

video and audio recording remains active throughout the break, but you are allowed to leave the view of the camera and even leave the room. So you can use the break to do whatever you like, provided that — once you get back to the workspace — it still is compliant with the requirements for the online exam.

Gabriella
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login