fbpx

Reply: PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
1 year 1 month ago #30215

Brad Pennington, PMP

While I agree with the sentiment that PMI is making a lot of money from the test taker (because PMI is also a business), I can completely back up what Harry has mentioned about PM standards in the federal government. I have managed military projects for several years, and I found the PMP exam very relevant to much of my everyday work. Harry is right when citing that the majority of formal projects are managed inside the federal government, and thus some of these concepts may not be relevant to other fields, but it never hurts to have a different perspective. If you believe that the PMP exam is irrelevant to your field, or if obtaining the certification is of no real value to you or your profession, then I encourage you to spend the time and money doing something else. I would also encourage you to refrain from being a troll on an academic website dedicated to attainment of the PMP certification.
1 year 1 month ago #30211

Harry Elston

Dear Anon:

Please see Joe Pang's and my responses from earlier in the thread. They remain valid. My continued advice is: If PMP certification is not of value to you, do not waste time treasure and talent pursuing it.

Harry
1 year 1 month ago #30210

Anonymous

's Avatar

I have been a project manager for 15 years and am disgusted with the ridiculous arbitrary artificial jargon and BS that the PMI have created. They should have stopped at PMBOK 4. I totally agree with your comment and think that the PMI have done a great disservice to project management, turning it into a joke. No one would ever accomplish a project if they created all of the artifacts and management plans and SOW's and RTMs' and WBS' and WBS Dictionary and Code of Accounts and it goes on and on to absurdity. Who are the pot smoking academic's at PMI who are trying to destroy project management?
3 years 1 month ago #26436

Zeus

's Avatar

Yep agree 125% with poster. I am a senior project manager at a large company and have been there as a contract employee for years. They pay me well over $250k per year and I've had over 40 people on a project team in my tenure there and have completed over 10++ complex projects. This PMP exam and prep is an absolute joke. Of course I understand the general concepts of project management, but to pass this test I'd have to memorize the terminology, and sit for 4 hours to take a test to prove what I already know and have been doing very successfully I might add for YEARS!!

I equate this antiquated process & structure to that of memorizing how to spell a list of 50 words back in high school. Where did that get us ... ever hear of spellcheck? Well the same principal applies, I can look up ANY of the information with the touch of the button if I need it. No need to memorize any of this .... just like I don't have to know how to spell every single word in the dictionary. They need to adjust the PMP exam to be open book where all that is needed to get PMP should be an UNDERSTANDING of the concepts and not focus on the memorization.
3 years 2 months ago #25964

Anonymous

's Avatar

Of course the whole aspect of PMP as a certification is nonsense, at least in the construction industry. The writer is correct in all that has been said. Getting a technical certification is way better than promoting the sale of expensive e-books and a costly certificate.
3 years 5 months ago #23994

Sumit Soral

Hi Raidan,

It is something like a base to broaden your horizon. From a science student's perspective, We did calculus in maths, did lot of numerical in physics, learned chemical equations and then did engineering however, not everything worked out for us nor we are using those in our day to day. However, that doesn't mean the baseline was incorrect, Isn't?

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login