fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 6 months ago #23963

• RaidanZ
  • RaidanZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a project manager for 10 years,
and I have been studying PMP for about a year,
the more I study, and the more I am lost with the PMI concept and the real life project management in my company.

Why you have to study for a test, and memorize all the make up words from PMI (none of those words will be using in real life project management).
Many have said that you don't have to memorize too many words, but just need to understand the meaning of the words, and it's a joke,
because in the exam, they will test you the meaning of the words in a so called scenario question.

and
Why they have to make so many different words for a same topic:
project scope, business case, project requirement, project charter
Don't tell me how they are all different in PMI point of view!
Because they are all the same in real life.

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 6 months ago #23968

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Raidan:

"Project Management" as defined by ANSI/PMI 99-001 was created in response to US Federal Government desire to standardize project management. The US Government, perhaps the largest project-based employer in the world, wanted companies who do project-based business with the Federal Government held to a single standard. As such, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in conjunction with PMI created a the industry consensus standard, ANSI 99-001 "Standard for Project Management."

That you don't like it or you don't want to follow the standard is irrelevant to the overall discussion: If you or your company want to do project-based business with the Federal Government, you will be expected follow ANSI/PMI 99-001. It is just that simple. Period.

Furthermore, the PMP certification is a baseline: It merely indicates that (1) you have a baseline of project management experience and (2) you passed a standardized test on any given day. It means no more or less than that. PMP certification, like any other professional certification is simply a statement by the certifying organization that you have a base-level of experience and you have passed a standardized test. It does not imply, one way or the other, of how good or bad of a project manager you are.

If you don't want to take the exam because you see no value in it then my advice is, "Don't." Why waste the time, talent and treasure of studying for the exam? If your current employer (assuming you're not self-employed) is requiring it, ask them why they are requiring it.

I'm not a professional "Project Manager," but in my business I must manage projects professionally. I found that in studying for the PMP exam I can improve the projects that I do for clients, and as such, give them a better product that will be more appreciated.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabriella Dellino, PMP, Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP, Elena Mekhanoshina
Last edit: by Harry Elston.

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 6 months ago #23983

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Hi RaidanZ, thank you for the fresh perspective.

I see where you are coming from. Some organizations have their own PM best practice established and to some extent, sometimes they may even be conflicting with the PMP methodology.

However, I'd also like to think that every project is a team effort and great communication is the key to project success. In the case of large to mega projects where there will be tens and hundreds of professionals involved in the PM process, I think it is important for everyone in the team to have a common understanding of the same "made-up" terms.

From my own experience with the Prepcast lessons, it didn't only teach me the PMP methodology, it also taught me the mindset of a great PM. For example, having an abundance mindset and thinking globally, to having an open mind and defer judgment.

As a community moderator, my job is to help everyone understand the exam content. If you think project scope, business case, project requirement, project charter all mean the same to you, I'd like to help to distinguish the differences.

Best,
Joe
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gabriella Dellino, PMP, Harry Elston, Eric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMP, PMI-ACP, Elena Mekhanoshina

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 6 months ago #23994

• Sumit Soral
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Raidan,

It is something like a base to broaden your horizon. From a science student's perspective, We did calculus in maths, did lot of numerical in physics, learned chemical equations and then did engineering however, not everything worked out for us nor we are using those in our day to day. However, that doesn't mean the baseline was incorrect, Isn't?
Last edit: by Sumit Soral .

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 3 months ago #25964

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Of course the whole aspect of PMP as a certification is nonsense, at least in the construction industry. The writer is correct in all that has been said. Getting a technical certification is way better than promoting the sale of expensive e-books and a costly certificate.

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 3 years 2 months ago #26436

• Zeus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yep agree 125% with poster. I am a senior project manager at a large company and have been there as a contract employee for years. They pay me well over $250k per year and I've had over 40 people on a project team in my tenure there and have completed over 10++ complex projects. This PMP exam and prep is an absolute joke. Of course I understand the general concepts of project management, but to pass this test I'd have to memorize the terminology, and sit for 4 hours to take a test to prove what I already know and have been doing very successfully I might add for YEARS!!

I equate this antiquated process & structure to that of memorizing how to spell a list of 50 words back in high school. Where did that get us ... ever hear of spellcheck? Well the same principal applies, I can look up ANY of the information with the touch of the button if I need it. No need to memorize any of this .... just like I don't have to know how to spell every single word in the dictionary. They need to adjust the PMP exam to be open book where all that is needed to get PMP should be an UNDERSTANDING of the concepts and not focus on the memorization.

[email protected] 1 year 2 months ago #30210

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have been a project manager for 15 years and am disgusted with the ridiculous arbitrary artificial jargon and BS that the PMI have created. They should have stopped at PMBOK 4. I totally agree with your comment and think that the PMI have done a great disservice to project management, turning it into a joke. No one would ever accomplish a project if they created all of the artifacts and management plans and SOW's and RTMs' and WBS' and WBS Dictionary and Code of Accounts and it goes on and on to absurdity. Who are the pot smoking academic's at PMI who are trying to destroy project management?

[email protected] 1 year 2 months ago #30211

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Dear Anon:

Please see Joe Pang's and my responses from earlier in the thread. They remain valid. My continued advice is: If PMP certification is not of value to you, do not waste time treasure and talent pursuing it.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

[email protected] 1 year 2 months ago #30215

• Brad Pennington, PMP
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
While I agree with the sentiment that PMI is making a lot of money from the test taker (because PMI is also a business), I can completely back up what Harry has mentioned about PM standards in the federal government. I have managed military projects for several years, and I found the PMP exam very relevant to much of my everyday work. Harry is right when citing that the majority of formal projects are managed inside the federal government, and thus some of these concepts may not be relevant to other fields, but it never hurts to have a different perspective. If you believe that the PMP exam is irrelevant to your field, or if obtaining the certification is of no real value to you or your profession, then I encourage you to spend the time and money doing something else. I would also encourage you to refrain from being a troll on an academic website dedicated to attainment of the PMP certification.
Brad Pennington, PMP
PrepCast Community Moderator

PMP exam is such a joke and a total nonsense comparing to a real life PM 1 week 6 days ago #31283

• Eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Agree! As an exam and even as a body of knowlage PMP is a joke.
But a lot of company seem to value the certification, so it still holds value.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login