fbpx

Reply: Timing of kickoff meeting

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Timing of kickoff meeting

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 6 months ago #23867

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

I did two trial exams. Got it confirmed. For small projects, it is at the beginning of Planning process group. For large projects, it is at the beginning of Executing process group.
3 years 6 months ago #23584

Vani

's Avatar

TRhe PBOK guide mentions :
1. Kickoff meeting is usually associated with end of planning ( Page 86, PMBOK Sixth edition)
2. Kickoff may occur at different times :
- For smaller projects - its at start of planning phase (since whole team performs planning and execution)
- For some larger projects - the team comes into picture once the whole planning is done. So here the team is usually available only in execution phase. So in this scenario - kick off will take place in execution phase

In my opinion : kick off can take place whenever the team involvement begins.
Its situational.
If nothing is mentioned : then we go with 'usual approach' at end of planning phase

(understanding from Page 86, PMBOK 6th edition)
3 years 6 months ago #23581

Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP

I want to confirm the timing of the kickoff meeting for PMP exam.

PMBOK guide says it is usually done at the beginning of Planning process group for small projects and at the beginning of Executing process group for large projects.

Rita Mulcahy's book specifies that the kickoff meeting is conducted at the end of Planning group.

I believe what PMBOK guide tells is what we have to follow and considering that the exam usually assumes large projects and matrix organization, kickoff meeting is at the beginning of the Executing process group.

Please confirm. Thank you.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login