fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online.

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23167

• Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP
  • Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,

My PMP application got approved today and I am planning to schedule the exam soon.

I would like to know your opinion regarding the advantages and drawbacks of taking the exam in test center vs online. I hear some people telling to choose test center while others say it is better to take exam in the calmness of your home.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Last edit: by Rahul Vadakke Veetil PMP.

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23169

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Rahul,

glad to hear your PMP application has been approved: you're now one step closer to getting certified!

Regarding your question, it is really hard to tell—as I believe there's no general rule and it is highly subjective. I passed my PMP exam in May, after getting my exam at a test center rescheduled and then canceled twice in the previous months. So, while I was getting ready to take the exam at a test center, I then had to adapt my preparation for the online proctored mode. In the first case, I only had to focus on my preparation, besides I was planning to go to the testing center the day before the exam, just to have a better estimate of the travel time and get familiar with the area. When taking the exam from home, I was also worried about the workplace and the internet connection—which is usually stable and high-speed, but... you never know! This made me a bit anxious, but in the end it all went smooth, which now makes me a bit more favourable to this exam mode.

However, this was my experience, and I bet there will be others will came to a different conclusion. Also, I didn't have the test center experience to compare to, so who know? I may even change my mind if I tried it.
My main recommendation is to go for what you feel more comfortable with, based on the opinions and experiences on both shared in this forum and other resources. As you said, each has its own pros and cons, but they are not absolute good/bad: it all depends on how you feel about them.
Give yourself some time to think about both solutions, and then go on and schedule the exam.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23176

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you, Gabriella. I went to the test center today! The staff told me that I will have to wear the facemask throughout the exam. That is the only issue I have since the mask makes it hard to breathe and Oxygen flow to the brain will be affected by this, especially since I have to sit like that for 4 hours. PMI told me that due to COVID -19, I can reschedule the exam up to 2 days prior to the exam for no charge. I need to think more about this.

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23281

• Ken Rsh
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Rahul,

I had initially scheduled my exam at the test center during the worst of COVID-19 then decided to change it to online for the reason you mentioned about the facemask. The nice part is you get to use your own computer and have your own room to yourself to make it as comfortable as you need. The only disadvantage was you are limited to one 10-min break for the entire exam (on question 89). I drank too much water during the break and it hurt my concentration in the second half because I really had to use the bathroom but the moderator would not let me go even for a minute. You will have to decide if you will be ok sitting still for a long time before and after your 10-min break.
Last edit: by Ken Rsh.

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23293

• Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Kenan,

Thank you for the information. One doubt about the 10 minutes break. The test center also allows only a 10 minutes break, right ? Do they give another break ? I canceled my test center exam. I will schedule my online exam when I am ready.

Rahul

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 7 months ago #23311

• Jessica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd read that in the last day about the requirement to wear a face mask the whole time. I need to practice that at home to see if I can even do it. That requirement alone may make my decision to instead take it at home vs. center. Additionally, in my area the very soonest I can schedule an exam in person is Oct 1 and it's not at the closest center. There are a few in the next week or so, but I'm not ready for it yet.

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 4 months ago #25070

Question: Are you allowed a scratch paper in the center? If yes, they provide it or we take it?

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 4 months ago #25156

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
I don’t believe you are allowed scratch paper any longer but you will get the facility to make notes and jot workings on a wipe clean board/sheet.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 4 months ago #25232

• Penea Ana Maria
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi to all,
On the registration OnVue for the exam I saw that I should fill in also that I'm agree with Facial recognition and Artificial Intelligence during the exam. Could you please enligh me what it is about?
The result of the exam is displayed after the exam?
Thanks
ana

PMP Exam. Test Center Vs Online. 3 years 2 months ago #26310

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi, Ana Maria!
I apologize for answering your question so late.
My understanding is that PearsonVUE may use artificial intelligence algorithms for image processing during the exam to prevent cheating and detect any suspicious behavior from test-takers.

At the end of the exam, you will see a message about the result (whether you passed or not), but the full report will become available within 2-3 days from the exam day.

Hope this helps,

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login