fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Room requirements for online exam

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23018

• Karen Cheng
  • Karen Cheng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi there,

Getting ready to schedule my exam. I have read through the forum and found the most on room requirements for taking the exam online (from home) is that the desk/workspace you intend to sit the exam needs photos taken in four directions. Would like to ask, are there any specific requirements about the room? Apart from no notes or anything around that looks like cheating, quiet, no distractions etc.

For example, can the room have windows and not be a confined space? Asking because I have been using my dining table in my dining room which is open-plan and facing windows for studying. I do not have a confined room with a desk, chair, and good internet connection. Or should I really find another option? Has anyone had pre-exam feedback that their room was not suitable?

Much appreciate any experience/advice please, thanks.

Karen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandra Van Praag, Matt Ellis
Last edit: by Karen Cheng.

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23019

• Chan Rampersaud
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Karen

I understand that you have to have a room with a closed door and you cannot be disturbed or walk off your chair during the exam. Room pictures to show nothing on wall that can be seen as notes etc.

Also face to be viewed by the camera, no hands on face.

Good luck.

Regards

Chan

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23024

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Karen,

the exam calls for a walled room, with a closed door and without distractions. I had a window in my room - which was clearly visible from the pictures I took - and had no problem during the check-in. However, my desk was facing the wall and was not close to the window.
You may want to contact PMI/PearsonVUE in advance to check what are the requirements about the windows; I would not be sure you can face the window during the exam...

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23026

• Karen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks guys, ok so need a closed walled room with door, great need to think about what options I have. Siiggh windows.
I have contacted PearsonVUE just in case, a couple of working days for a response they say.

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23031

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Karen.

IMHO, I believe it to be the luck of the draw, i.e., one proctor may want one thing while another doesn't care.

I've read stories where test takers had to take artwork off the walls; others had to reschedule because "the room" wasn't right.

My experience was that I took it at a folding table perpendicular to a desk with lots of stuff on it, adjacent to many windows. The room wasn't closed, as there a passageway to the dining room and foyer. Having said that, if at all concerned, be conservative. If they actually prescribe apples, give them apples.

Good luck!

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23034

• Alexandra Van Praag
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I read that you can't have anything within arms reach. i am taking my exam in my bedroom because it's the only place I can close the door but I am concerned about how much other stuff is in there. Nothing within arms reach but there is a TV and a printer etc. I have boxes under my desk and another printer on top. I am wondering what kind of photos they ask for? Is it facing the computer? or is it looking behind you? I have a clothes rail that i was thinking of covering with a sheet? I'm nervous!

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23035

• Karen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok Gabriella, I called PearsonVUE. The person answering my questions said I could do my exam in the dining room with windows, open plan with adjoining wall. Closing the door is for no distractions. I am so hoping the proctor is consistent with this for my exam.

Alexandra - on the phone they only kept mentioning nothing within arm's reach, and no notes/folders/whiteboard etc visible. But I know what you mean! The physical testing centres are so strict/sterile that I keep thinking am I missing something with preparing the environment to sit the exam online

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 8 months ago #23037

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Karen and Alexandra,
I feel you: I was very anxious about this, too. I also decided to take the exam in my bedroom, because it was the only room I knew I would have no distractions. And in the end had no problem at all.
I had to send 4 photos of my workspace, taken both facing the desk and from the back of it, as well as from both sides. In the instructions, they show you from where to take each of the four photos, approximately.
As a precaution, I removed everything I had on my nightstands and dresser - even if nothing was within arm's reach. I put a desk and a chair in the bedroom, but had nothing around me or under the desk, so I cannot really tell whether it is acceptable. I know that items on the walls are subject to inspection, but again I have no experience with this kind of inspection.

Gabriella
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kassandra Cobb-Nwadigo

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 7 months ago #23269

• Karen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi guys,

I just sat my exam, passed.

Alexandra - the online proctoring instructions about the room were something like to take a photo facing your desk, from the back of your desk, of the side of the room left of your desk, and of the side of the room right of your desk. Didn't have any issues with it, followed the instructions and I chose the option of uploading to the proctoring website. No proctor intervention at all. I cleared the room of stuff as much as possible.

Gabriella - thanks so much for your help!!! Pearson Vue's email response was pretty much to RTFM (read the website). Glad I phoned them up to ask them specifically about OnVue. I ended up drawing the curtains to be on the safe side, open plan dining room, and had lights all on when it was fully daylight outside.

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 7 months ago #23385

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Awesome: congratulations, Karen!
And thanks for taking the time to follow up on the forum!

Gabriella

Room requirements for online exam 3 years 7 months ago #23448

• Kassandra Cobb-Nwadigo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Big Congrats Karen, Iam now on this same journey. Thank you for sharing.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login