fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: quality control measurements VS quality metrics

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22920

• Mahdi Seify
  • Mahdi Seify's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Could you please let me know what is different between quality control measurements and quality metrics?
Thanks

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22922

• Devin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 52
Quality metrics (PMBOK, pg. 287) are an output of Plan Quality Management. It's those metrics we intend to capture to make sure our product incorporates the correct level of quality. Think about a cheap product you bought recently and think how quickly it was worthless. It was made cheaply because they were massed produced without including the cost of quality (an important concept). There is a trade-off between a higher quality product and the cost of initial product OR the cost to replace the product. Quality metrics are often not something the customer would ultimately be interested in (though sometimes they overlap) - think a new car warranty - free repairs before 50,000 miles. So, car manufacturers build-in quality to at least go PAST the initial warranty. How do they do this? Quality metrics. We plan to watch for certain metrics as we build something. For example, iphones might be weighed as they go down the production line. So, one of our quality metrics would be an upper and lower quality limit on weight and we'd define that in our plan.

Quality control measurements, on the other hand, are simply that, they are the ACTUAL control measurements - lets say we capture the actual weight of every iphone that goes down the assembly line. We take these measurements and put them in the format required by our quality management plan. Maybe this is a dashboard. Maybe iphones are trending heavier in the last month. Are we using more glue? Are we adding unnecessary parts? We would need to investigate. The actual customer requirement (or what Apple has advertised) is that iPhones weigh a certain amount. By planning to control quality and by actually gathering measurements according to our plan, we can verify (important) that we are controlling quality.

Hope this helps.

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22938

• Mahdi Seify
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Devin
Am I right?
Quality Metrics are same as KPIs but Quality control Measurements are the process of quality result documentation and analysis?

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22940

• Devin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No, quality metrics are the PLANNED metrics we intend to base our quality plan on and to what tolerances. KPIs are actually part of work performance data, they are raw observations (PMBOK, pg. 95) so they are quality control measurements (work performance data).

Quality control measurements is the process/result of capturing (think checksheets) quality measurements - what we planned to capture from our quality management plan. This is work performance data in PMBOK speak.

When we take this raw data and then compare it against our plan, it becomes work performance information (how are we progressing against some baseline).
Last edit: by Devin.

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22941

• Mahdi Seify
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks let me correct my last question in this way

Metrics are the defined measurement criteria and with their acceptance range
but quality control measurements is the process of analyzing and interpreting the quality test and metric results.

Am I right?
Thanks

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22942

• Devin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Quality control measurements (PMBOK, pg. 291), can either be: "Quality control measurements are used to analyze and evaluate the quality of the processes and deliverables of the project against the standards of the performing organization or the requirements specified. Quality control measurements can also compare the processes used to create the measurements and validate actual measurements to determine their level of correctness."

No, the quality control measurements is not the process. They are actually a project document (PMBOK, pg. 89).

Control quality and manage quality processes is the where we iteratively capture, refine, compare and verify quality measurements.

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22943

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Mahdi,

Let me try to explain this simply and outside the PMBOK:

A Quality Control METRIC is "what you are measuring" and the tolerance allowed in the measurement. The METRIC should (must?) be specified in the Project Plan under product specifications.
A Quality Control MEASUREMENT is the actual measurement. A MEASUREMENT Is recorded in product production.

Example.

A manufacturer has to produce a widget that is 5.0 cm long with a tolerance of 0.1 cm. The METRIC is length measurement of 5.0 cm +/- 0.1 cm. That is, any widget that measures between 4.9 and 5.1 cm is acceptable.

Bob then takes the 5th widget produced by the manufacturer and uses a vernier caliper to actually measure the length. It measures 5.01 cm. That is the QC MEASUREMENT. It is recorded and the widget is judged acceptable.

Hope that helps.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 3 years 8 months ago #22948

• Mahdi Seify
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks so much all
I think now it is clear.
Thanks

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 2 years 7 months ago #28250

• Sarah Ghazi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello
Hope all is great on your end,
This is Sarah a MA student and at the moment I have a very tricky question I can't understand regarding the quality metrics.
I am lost in the answer wether to use KPI or use one of the common methods such as Burndown Chart, cumulative flow?!!
I would appreciate your help here

Thank you
Sarah
Last edit: by Elizabeth Harrin. Reason: removed question

quality control measurements VS quality metrics 2 years 7 months ago #28251

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Hi Sarah. I've removed the question from your post, as per the forum policy. Feel free to share it again with the required information/noting you have permission to do so. Or perhaps you could explain what you are struggling with a different way?
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login