Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP?

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 1 year 8 months ago #5263

• Anne B

Question:

Do we need to renew our PMI membership every year to maintain our PMP certified status?

Answer:

There is good news here because you do NOT have to be a PMI member to become or remain PMP certified.

Most project managers will join PMI as they are preparing for their PMP exam because they receive a substantial discount on the exam fees. In fact, the discount is greater than the yearly PMI membership fee. So it makes a lot of sense to join and pay the fee.

However, a substantial number of people will not renew their PMI membership after the first year because it is not necessary to be a member in order to retain your PMP status. Often this is driven by financial considerations.

I personally have always enjoyed being a member of both my local PMI chapter (I was chapter president at one time) and also PMI Global (I am currently volunteering on the Social Media Advisory Group). I find a lot of benefit in being and staying a member.

But in the end, whether or not you want to retain your membership is a very personal decision.
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Michael DeCicco, Mary Kathrine Padua, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®