fbpx

TOPIC: Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP?

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 9 years 1 month ago #5263

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Question:

Do we need to renew our PMI membership every year to maintain our PMP certified status?

Answer:

There is good news here because you do NOT have to be a PMI member to become or remain PMP certified.

Most project managers will join PMI as they are preparing for their PMP exam because they receive a substantial discount on the exam fees. In fact, the discount is greater than the yearly PMI membership fee. So it makes a lot of sense to join and pay the fee.

However, a substantial number of people will not renew their PMI membership after the first year because it is not necessary to be a member in order to retain your PMP status. Often this is driven by financial considerations.

I personally have always enjoyed being a member of both my local PMI chapter (I was chapter president at one time) and also PMI Global (I am currently volunteering on the Social Media Advisory Group). I find a lot of benefit in being and staying a member.

But in the end, whether or not you want to retain your membership is a very personal decision.
Last edit: by John Paul Bugarin.

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 5 years 11 months ago #14132

• Debabrata Das
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Will I be able to access Webinars on projectmanagement.com if I'm no longer a member of PMI?

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 5 years 11 months ago #14136

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
If you want access to ALL webinars on projectmanagement.com then you will need to renew your membership. However, even if you let your membership lapse the website still offers some free content you can access as a "free user".

Please visit www.projectmanagement.com/Membership/standard.cfm for the details.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.

[email protected] 5 years 8 months ago #14833

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius
I just got my PMP in January.
If I cancel my PMI membership, can I still log in my earned 60 PDUs (from another institution with my transcript as a proof)?
Thank you

[email protected] 5 years 8 months ago #14838

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Yes. If you are PMP certified, but NOT a PMI member then you can still log in to your account at ccrs.pmi.org to record and claim your PDUs.

However, there is a price difference.

As of today, PMI members pay $60 for their renewal, and non-members pay $150.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

[email protected] 5 years 6 months ago #15331

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Is this accurate information? Renewal is not US$60, I have to pay US129 for renewal every year.

[email protected] 5 years 6 months ago #15337

• John Wolverton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Yes, $129.00
John F. Wolverton, PMP®

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 5 years 6 months ago #15402

• Melina
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
129$ is for PMI account renewal , he mentions with 60$ about renewal PMP certificate for more 3 years after earning 60 PDUs

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 5 years 1 month ago #16687

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
so it will cost you $387 to be a member for 3 yrs to save $90 at time of PMP cert renewal.... my math says that is a bad selling point to be a member

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 4 years 9 months ago #17851

• MB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Seems not a good deal to be member indded.
My only concern is if will be easy to find different type of webinars (leadership, technical, etc...) for PDUs claiming.

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 4 years 8 months ago #18149

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
you can renew membership ONLY for one year (just before renewing your PMP certification )
So you pay 129 +60+10 =199 instead of 150
So you get one year membership for effectively 49 .
And in that ONE year you can earn lot of PDUs .
Then You keep PMI membership discontinued for two years .
SO IT IS GOOD IDEA to renew strategically once in three years.

Thanks Cornelius!

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 4 years 8 months ago #18242

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
I just renewed mine.

I used a combination of books, giving to the community and "on the job".. I filled in with the non-premium content. One thing that helped is that projectmanagement.com lets you filter " already watched" and also filter by the 3 pillars (Technical, leadership and Stategic & Business). This made it easy to know what I needed to fill in to complete my 60. I then paid the $129 (+ $10 FEE) to PMI membership, which dropped the renewal cost to $60 for a total of $199. I assumed that you would order both the membership and the renewal at the same time. This is not true. You have to do 2 seperate purchases with PMI. Had I known this, I would have become a member sooner. However, there is PLENTY of free content without being a member to watch enough training webinars.
Why be a member then? Because now, if I finish my PDUs in the next year, I still get to renew for $60 (for 3 more years) because I will still have the PMI membership.

There are other benefits to the membership, but thought I'd throw out that tidbit about re-renewing in your first year.
Community Moderator

For PMPs in Brazil 4 years 1 week ago #20568

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you are based in Brazil, you may get the same deal like I did this year, and I would suggest you renew it now if you can.
I just renewed my PMI membership and my PMP certification. I only paid $15 for my PMI membership.

I paid BRL 536 ($105) for the PMI membership (incl. application fee), plus $60 (BRL 306) for renewal. Total BRL 842 or $165.

Allan

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 years 10 months ago #21738

• Rohit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
Ive recently got pmp certified. I took the membership as well.. I know my pmp is valid for 3 years.
Want to know do I have to pay for next two years for the membership if I want to remain the member of pmi.. How much is the membership fee for each year.
Also, please tell me do I've to submit 60 pdus every year or just at the time of renewal..
Do ive to renew my pmp before it get expired? Please tell about the renewal fee as well..
Thanks in advance..

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 years 10 months ago #21780

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Hi Rohit.
Currently, PMI membership is $129 per year. You can see the pricing on the PMI website: www.pmi.org/membership/join

The CCRS pages on the website will help you better understand the requirements for PDUs. It's 60 per 3 year renewal cycle. If you want to keep your PMP credential, you will need to meet the PDU requirements.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 years 10 months ago #21786

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Rohit:

The short answer is "no": Here's a link to the same question on the boards several years back: www.project-management-prepcast.com/kune...0your%20PMP%20status .

The longer answer is "why not?" The paid membership gives you access to a boat load of materials for professional project management. I get it that professional society memberships are expensive: I pay well over $1000 USD per year to maintain society memberships because there is value in those memberships. I can categorically state that ROI for PMI membership is higher than the other two professional societies of which I belong.

Best,

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 months 1 week ago #31099

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Must I pay for PMI chapter membership?

[email protected] 3 months 1 week ago #31100

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Must I pay for a Local Chapter membership while renewing my PMI yearly membership?

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 months 1 week ago #31101

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello Cornelius,
Must one pay for local chapter membership upon yearly PMI membership renewal?

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 months 1 week ago #31102

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Anon:

The short answer remains "no, you don't have to join a local chapter." Here's a link to the membership FAQ from PMI: www.pmi.org/membership/faq

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP

Do I need to renew PMI membership to retain myPMP? 3 months 1 week ago #31103

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you Harry
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonDaniel SoerensenCoy Studer Christian Elmer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login