fbpx
NEVER post copyrighted questions. Always state where questions come from. We take copyright violations very serious. Any copyrighted materials will be removed and the posters account will be deactivated.

TOPIC: Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 9 years 3 weeks ago #5312

• Anil
  • Anil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
One of a premier satellite launch research organization on this planet had planned to send a satellite to Mars for the discovery of life forms on the planet Mars. In order to launch the satellite, the organization intended to precisely track its space position with one of the approaches. Which approach would you BEST believe to serve this purpose on this project?

1. Monte Carlo Simulation
2. Design of Experiments
3. Attribute Sampling
4. Data Gathering and Representation Techniques

This was an question which was shared by one of my team mates. Please help me understand what would be the correct answer to this question.

Many thanks in advance.

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 9 years 3 weeks ago #5316

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
the question is not giving so much clues to answer. but if I faced such question in the exam, I would start by eliminating Answers 3 and 4 and would select between "Monte Carlo Simulation" and "Design of Experiments" with more preference(80%) to "Design of Experiments".
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 9 years 3 weeks ago #5317

• Anil
  • Anil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Ahmed - The correct answer is supposed to be DOE, however Monte Carlo Simulation also makes a reasonable choice as you suggested.

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 9 years 3 weeks ago #5321

• Jeremy Papp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I think the key statement lies in " In order to launch the satellite, the organization intended to precisely track its space position with one of the approaches." This tells us that the goal of the project is to ultimately discover life forms on Mars. This can't happen without a successful launch, and this is stated to be achieved by "precisely track its space position".

I would narrow down to #1 and #2, but Design of Experiments would give the greatest chance to practically apply and succeed at a launch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anil

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 9 years 3 weeks ago #5323

• Steve Sandoval
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I agree with Jeremy that I would quickly narrow it down to #1 or #2. If you think about #1 further, however, you realize that Monte Carlo simulations are a way of statistically making predictions. So they would be a decent way of predicting the most likely way the launch would go, and the most probable path of the satellite once it was launched. But it is not "precisely tracking the position". It is a way of predicting things before they happen, but things are not guaranteed to turn out that way.

So if you eliminate 1,3, and 4, then the answer logically must be #2!
Steve Sandoval, PMP
Community Moderator

Monte Carlo Simulation or DOE question 8 years 11 months ago #5401

• Paresh Sharma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
DOE is a costly option but provides data. Monte Carlo is to find out the probability for range of possibilities therefore in this case where all other possibilities can be considered as failure and only one possibility as success monte carlo will not be effective

If the question was not about was not a space ship (indicating a very high cost of failure) and if there were many possibilities monte carlo would have been good option but then again we would not have been able to rule out DOE

Therefore the question is definitely leading us onto DOE
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinJean KwandaElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login