fbpx
NEVER post copyrighted questions. Always state where questions come from. We take copyright violations very serious. Any copyrighted materials will be removed and the posters account will be deactivated.

TOPIC: Assistance on a Question

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4651

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Rahul Kakkar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
Source: HeadFirst PMP (3rd Edition)
Admin if this is a copyright violation, please feel free to delete this post. However I would still like an explanation so if there is another way for me to post it here, please let me know.

Q. You’re working on an IT project to set up a development environment, including designing and building a computer room, installing the operating systems and software, and performing a security evaluation. You need at least two weeks to order the hardware before you can configure it and install the operating systems. Which of the following BEST describes this relationship?
A. Lead
B. Lag
C. Finish-to-Start (FS)
D. Start-to-Start (SS)

I marked: B
My reasoning: You can't configure and install the operating system until at least two weeks which are required to order the hardware.

Correct Answer: A
Explanation Given: When one activity (such as ordering hardware) must take place a certain amount of time before another activity (installing the operating systems), that’s called a lead.

Is there a way I can avoid this confusion in future, i.e. which p.o.v. I see the question from? Is there a general rule I'm missing out on?
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4652

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Rahul,
Regarding copyright, i don't know if this is a violation so i will leave it to other moderators to decide :)

regarding the questions, i agree with you it is a little bit confusing. but the rule i usually followed to decide between a lead and a lag is to look from the perspective of deliverable and deadlines . In the question below the deadline would be on completing the installation and configuration of computers, which have to be available to start the activity. to avail the computers at the start of the activity the purchase should be 2 weeks before that time and that is a lead (starting and activity early).

I hope this would help and other suggestions would be valuable as well.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rahul Kakkar, Adel Abbaza

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4667

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Here's another one:

Source: HeadFirst PMP (3rd Edition)

Q. You are managing a software engineering project. While investigating the cause of
a low SPI, you discover that your team is having trouble completing their object design tasks, which are on the critical path. One of your team members tells you that her friend at another company sent her a copy of a software package it owns that will help your team meet its deadline. Without that software package, your project will probably be late. But you don’t have enough money in the budget to purchase it. What’s the BEST way to handle this situation?
A. Tell the team member not to use the software, and accept that the project will be late.
B. Use the software so that your project comes in on time.
C. Purchase the software so that you have a licensed copy.
D. Find a way to add resources to the object design activity or move it off of the critical path.

Why is A a better answer than D? Shouldn't the project manager try crashing the schedule first before accepting that the project will be late?
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4668

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Rahul,
I understand your comment and it might be to some extent reasonable.
however, the question stated clearly that you don't have enough money in the budget to purchase the software license, this could imply you don't have budget to add the extra resources as well. as you know crashing always results in extra costs.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4670

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OK. Didn't know it was safe to make that assumption. Thanks!
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4677

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Source: Oliver F. Lehmann, 175 Questions

Q. You are in the process of contacting sellers to obtain bids and proposals. You found out that it might become a time-consuming procedure to ensure that the sellers get a clear and common understanding of the procurement process and of the needs of your project. Which technique may help you save time?
o Bidder conferences
o Advertising
o Qualified sellers list
o Four-eyes meetings

How is the answer "Bidder Conferences" and not "Qualified Sellers List" as the question clearly states the part that it would be a time-consuming procedure and the PM is looking to saves time.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4680

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The question clearly stated that you are in the process of contacting sellers to obtain bids and proposals, such activity is carried out during "Conduct Procurement" process. Qualified sellers list is an output of the plan procurement activity which takes place before conduct procuremnt so at the time you are contacting the sellers, you should already have the qualified sellers list.

Bidder conferences is the perfect answer. as by definition Bidder conferences are meetings between the buyer and all prospective sellers prior to submittal of a bid or proposal. They are used to ensure that all prospective sellers have a clear and common understanding of the procurement requirements
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rahul Kakkar, Adel Abbaza

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4687

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok my bad, I assume Qualified Sellers List to imply Pre-Qualified Sellers List as he was looking to save time. I have to stop making assumptions :). Thanks for clearing my doubts Ahmed! It’s been very helpful to point out some of my typical mistakes to avoid them for the exam.

Q. Post-mortem analysis after scheduled finish date of a project shows a CPI of 0.8 and an SPI of 1.25. What is a plausible explanation for that?

A The project was terminated early. At that time, it was over budget and ahead of schedule.

B The project has produced additional deliverables which were originally not required.

C The project has evidently been finished under budget and behind of schedule.

D The project has evidently been finished over budget and ahead of schedule.

I marked D, the answer is A. Any idea how these numbers could indicate if a project was terminated early instead of being finished? Is it because when the project would be finished the SPI will always be 1.00?
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

Assistance on a Question 9 years 6 months ago #4691

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Rahul

please share the source of your last question to give credit to the question creator.

Regarding the question, CPI of 0.8 and an SPI of 1.25 means the project is over budget and ahead of schedule. and I agree with you if a project is completed, SPI would be 1 as all planned values would have been delivered. according to the question the analysis is done after the scheduled finish date and yet SPI is 1.25 this can only happen if the project is not running and was terminated early. tricky question though.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinJean KwandaElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login