fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed CAPM 6/1/2019

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17604

• Vignesh Kannan
  • Vignesh Kannan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I had passed the CAPM exam on June 1st 2019 with above target on everything except Integration (Target). Thanks to Prepcast for creating such a nice product. Using PM Prepcast Simulator provided me
the opportunity to have a real flavor of the exam, and also helps me to focus down on the topics where I need to concentrate more. Here I would like to share my experience and the lessons learned I learned from the exam
which might be useful to someone.
1. I started preparing for CAPM probably 10 weeks before the exam. Since I was working I used to spend one hour during the weekdays and 4 to 10 hours during the weekend.
2. I used to take notes while watching the videos in Prepcast. Simultaneously I used to mark the important keywords of the definition or topics that was told by Mr. Cornelius Fichtner in the videos. Marking the important keywords was really handy when I was revising each chapters in PMBOK.
3. I will always take the assessment test provided at the end of each knowledge area before proceeding to next one. I used to review the questions I answered wrong to make sure I understand the reason.
4. Once I watched all the videos in Prepcast I started reading the PMBOK. This time I didn't follow the exact sequence of the knowledge area. Instead of that I read the chapters in the following sequence (Integration- Scope- Schedule- Cost- Resource- Quality- Risk- Communications- Stake Holder- Procurement). The reason for doing that is some of the knowledge areas are more resemblance to other specific knowledge areas. For example Communications, and Stakeholder are interrelated to each other other. As you know Communications is like a subset of Stakeholder.

Lessons Learned:
1. Don't memorize the process. Try to understand the process, and note down the keywords while studying it will be really helpful in later stage when you are revisiting them.
2. There are 33 Project documents and 18 Project Management Plan and Subsidiaries provided in PMBOK in Page 89. Make sure you know where those Project documents/ Plan are actually created, why they are created, where are those exactly used. For example Team Charter is created in Plan Resource Management. It defines about the rules, operating guidelines for the project team. One of its component (Ground Rules) is used as Tools and Techniques in Manage Stakeholder to set rules for the team regarding Stakeholder management.
3. Read the CAPM Examination Policies and Procedures in CAPM handbook. This will help you to expect the things on the exam and avoid unnecessary surprises. You can request for handheld calculator from the test administrator, I fell it is quite handy when compared to the calculator in the PMI exam simulator.
4. Regarding taking notes during the exam you can't really write anything until you start the timer in the exam. I took around 15 minutes of the exam to write down important formula's specifically from Cost and Schedule. This really handy when you taking math questions. You would still have enough time to cover every question. I completed my exam in 90 minutes including the time taken to create notes.
5. Cover all the chapters in the PMBOK don't leave anything as you would be scored in each knowledge areas.
6. With respect to Cost management make sure you understand the formulas and the results interpretation of the formulas (Pg: 267). I followed the table showed in Prepcast which is really explained in a nice way.
7. You will be given one sheet of Scrap paper and a dry ink pen when you enter for the exam. If you need more sheets you can ask them but you are supposed to have only one scrap paper at any point during the exam. In other words if you request for a scrap paper the exam administrator would collect the one you already have and provide you with the new one.
8. Do not spend more time on the question you didn't know. Mark it for review and skip to next one. You can review this once you answered all the questions.
9. Don't overlook the Agile/ Adaptive techniques provided in each chapter. Don't think it's not important you can expect some questions. Follow the prepcast, Mr. Cornelius Fichtner had explained in nice way.
10. Once you answered all the questions, refer the review screen to make sure you answered all the questions. Don't leave any questions unanswered. PMI don't any negative marks for the wrong questions. At least you have 25 percent of probability to getting it right.
11. Don't get disheartened from the results you are getting during your PM Prep cast Exam Simulator. Prepcast is providing us with thoughtful questions so that we won't be surprised during the exams.
12. Read the question completely before you answer them. I did lot of careless mistakes during my first CAPM full test. Eliminate the wrong options first if you are unsure about the answer for that question. For example if you are not sure about the right answer for the question try to eliminate the wrong options first. Then focus on the options that are remaining. This will help you to narrow down the options that you have to review.

My PREPCAST test results, due to tight work schedule I could able to take only three full test. But I would advise you to take all the five to increase your confidence level.
1. First Test- 57.3 percent (FAIL)- Took this after I revised three chapters
2. Second Test- 74.3 percent (FAIL)- Took this test after revised seven chapters
3. Third test- 80.2 percent (PASS)- Took this test after revising ten chapters.

Things I should have done differently
Should have taken two more simulator test. This have clearly reflected in my Integrations knowledge area score. Spend more time in the introductory chapters (1,2,3 in PMBOK).

Materials used: PREPCAST, PMBOK book

I know it's a long post. But I thought rather than just leaving a thank you note I feel I thought I should share my experience so that it will be helpful to someone who is taking this exam in near future.

Good luck on your exams !!

Disclaimer: All the above things are learned and experienced from my personal point of view it may not be applicable to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mustafa Kirdök, Shannon Yadao, Michael Connor, Vignesh Kannan
Last edit: by Vignesh Kannan.

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17609

• MMol
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Vignesh. I am planning to take one in August or September. Your post provides me an idea that the timeline I have set is possible.
Congratulations!

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17633

• Beverly D'Souza
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
For CAPM, do you need to only score above 61% or do you have to get above target in each process to pass ? I was told you don't have to get above target in all for CAPM, only for PMP. Instead, all you have to worry about is getting above 61% for the CAPM EXAM.

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17644

• Shannon Yadao
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much for all this feedback. Just started PMPrepCast and I am liking the structure. There is so much information and I am trying to make sure I understand each module before moving forward. Do you have any advice on study techniques you used? For example, I watch a video and take notes simultaneously. Then I read the PMBOk section that refers to the video. Then go onto the next video and do the same. Once I complete two videos I go back to the previous video and review my notes, flashcards, pmbok guide and understand it before moving onto the third video. I figure I continually repeat this process for each understanding and then recall it to cement the understanding. Any advice would help. Thanks

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17659

• Vignesh Kannan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Beverly,
To answer your question I don't think PMI had published any information on how they calculate the passing score. My best advise don't worry about the passing score prepare well for your exam
you should be ok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius Fichtner
Last edit: by Vignesh Kannan. Reason: Mentioning name

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17660

• Vignesh Kannan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Shannon,

I usually take notes when I am watching the videos like everybody else. But in addition to that I usually keep my PMBOK on the side and started underlining the important keywords in the book. This would be useful when you start revising the concepts. Regarding taking notes I usually try to contain my notes within two pages for each knowledge areas (First I started taking notes of the whole thing but later I changed my mind). I am doing that because helps me to focus on key topics during the revision rather than going through lot of things at the end. Always take Self assessment exams at the end of each chapter and review the questions you had answered wrong before proceeding to next one. Based on the number of questions I answered right I would rate my knowledge level at each chapter by scoring system 1-5. For example if I answered 11 questions of out 15 questions right. I would rate my knowledge at that particular chapter as 3/5. When I am revising everything second time I would insist myself to study more carefully based on this scoring. The above things may or may not work for you try to adapt the methods that's more suitable to your style. Good luck for your exams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vignesh Kannan

Passed CAPM 6/1/2019 4 years 10 months ago #17669

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Vignesh,

Congratulations on passing the CAPM Exam! We're glad to hear about your success and we're thankful for sharing your experience and lessons learned with us. We wish you all the best in your career and your future endeavors. Have a great day!
Moderators: John Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login