fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: CAPM Study Time

CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1327

• Missy Lipinski
  • Missy Lipinski's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, this is my first post and appears to be the first CAPM discussion post! I am currently studying for the CAPM exam. I have allowed 8 weeks of study time. I have been listening to the Precast and reading the PMBOK guide. I have ordered The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try book by Andy Crowe. The Prepcast has been great so far.

Thanks
Missy

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1328

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Missy,

Congrats on being the first poster here in the CAPM forum.

I think that 8 weeks of study time for the CAPM exam is a good duration. Of course that depends very much on how much daily study time you have scheduled... if you plan on studying 5 minutes every day for 8 weeks then that won't be enough, but if you schedule about 2 hours daily then that should work.

One recommendation: You didn't say anything about sample exam question. The CAPM exam is a multiple choice exam and you need to get used to answering questions in the "exam style". So I would really recommend that you practice, practice and then practice some more on CAPM exam questions.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pandu Wirawan

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1336

• Missy Lipinski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the tips. I will plan for lots of sample exams before the exam.

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1342

• Stephanie Morton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Missy, I just started studying for the CAPM as well. Good luck to both of us. I have been out of school for awhile so I find the biggest challenge is getting back in study mode. What are you using as study materials?

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1344

• Missy Lipinski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Stephanie,
Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed. For study materials, I am using the PMP Prepcast and reading the PMBOK 4th edition guide. I am developing a mindmap as I study. I have a book from a past university subject called "Project Management the managerial process 4e" by Gray | Larson. This book provides alot of detail and helping with the project formulas. I also ordered the PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try book by Andy Crowe. The book also contains sample exams. I have 4 weeks to go until I sit my CAPM exam and half way through my study plan.

Good luck with your exam.
Missy
Last edit: by Missy Lipinski.

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 2 months ago #1348

• Martine Monney
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Stephanie,
I have just join the discussion group. I'm studing for the CAPM exam. It's fun being with Corneluis. Where are you in your study? I need some clarification about the "Output from planning" (the second input of the Develop Project Management Pan). Can you explain it to me? I appreciate it. Thank you.

Martine.

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 1 month ago #1361

• Edwin Bell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Everyone,
Today I passed the CAPM exam!!!!!!

I started studying about 4-5 months before my exam date, slacked off around the Thanksgiving / Christmas holidays, but really focused on the studying 2 months before the exam.

My study resources were:
* PM PrepCast podcast modules downloaded into iTunes.
* PM Flashcards downloaded into my iPod.
* PM Formulas.
* Ready Set Pass exam simulator
* And of course the very dry PMBOK 4th edition.

Through my studies I listened to all of the PM PrepCast modules, flipped through so many flashcards that I felt cross-eyed, studied the formulas for a week straight, took oodles of simulated exams, and read through the PMBOK twice.

This was what it took for me to feel comfortable with passing the exam on the 1st try.

Very grateful to Cornelius for making the studying fun and captivating my attention...

Good luck with your studies everyone!!!

Edwin Bell - CAPM B)

Re:CAPM Study Time 14 years 4 weeks ago #1374

• Missy Lipinski
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello, well I am happy to say I passed my CAPM exam.

I sat the paper based exam and had to wait 3 weeks to get my results. In the exam, there was myself and a PMP test taker. The exam provider spent 15 minutes explaining the test process, but we did not get any time before the exam for brain dumps. I wrote down all the formulas on the paper provided before I began the test, and felt this really helped with some of the questions. We were given calculators in the exam.

I managed to complete the test in 2 hours, and spent the last hour reviewing the questions. I felt confident I had passed.

For the study preparation, I used the following resources:-
- PM PrepCast downloaded onto my iPod touch
- The PMP Exam - How to pass on your first try book by Andy Crowe
- Velociteach CAPM online course
- PMBOK 4th edition (I did not read cover to cover)
- University studies - I studied the PMBOK 3rd edition in university a couple of years ago.
- MindMaps I found on the internet and my own creations.

The combination of studies really helped with the exam.

Good luck everyone.

Melissa Lipinski - CAPM :-)

Re:CAPM Study Time 13 years 10 months ago #1520

• Zane
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Missy,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and opinions regarding the CAPM. Congratulations on passing! Just a curiousity question, if I might ask - what made you decide on the CAPM versus the PMP? I am also leaning towards the CAPM versus the PMP, due mainly to only having true experience (meaning experience based on the PMBOK Guide) with project management for the last two years. Should I perhaps wait and gain more experience and then buckle down and take the PMP, or is it never too soon to start gaining credentials and do the CAPM? Cornelius, if you are reading this (or anyone else), perhaps you could chime in?

Thanks,

Zane

Re:CAPM Study Time 13 years 10 months ago #1522

• Edwin Bell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Zane,
I chose the CAPM 1st to help prepare me for the PMP. Since my application for the CAPM (3/2009) I have become eligible for the PMP as well, which I passed the PMP exam on May 29th, after obtaining my CAPM on Mar 18th.

If you do not have the required hours for the PMP I recommend taking the CAPM as I did and continue working toward the PMP.

Good luck!
Edwin Bell – CAPM & PMP

Re:CAPM Study Time 13 years 10 months ago #1523

• Michael Douglas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I too am preparing for the CAPM and plan to take the exam in September. I am looking for a study guide in addition to the eflashcards I have. I have found these 2 below. i'd like to get your thoughts.....

I am considering both:

1. CAPM/PMP Project Management Certification All-in-One Exam Guide with CD-ROM, Second Edition
by Joseph Phillips (Hardcover)

2. PMP Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide (Kindle Edition)
by Kim Heldman (Author)
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinCoy Studer

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login