fbpx

Reply: CAPM Study Time

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : CAPM Study Time

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
13 years 9 months ago #1523

Michael Douglas

I too am preparing for the CAPM and plan to take the exam in September. I am looking for a study guide in addition to the eflashcards I have. I have found these 2 below. i'd like to get your thoughts.....

I am considering both:

1. CAPM/PMP Project Management Certification All-in-One Exam Guide with CD-ROM, Second Edition
by Joseph Phillips (Hardcover)

2. PMP Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide (Kindle Edition)
by Kim Heldman (Author)
13 years 9 months ago #1522

Edwin Bell

Zane,
I chose the CAPM 1st to help prepare me for the PMP. Since my application for the CAPM (3/2009) I have become eligible for the PMP as well, which I passed the PMP exam on May 29th, after obtaining my CAPM on Mar 18th.

If you do not have the required hours for the PMP I recommend taking the CAPM as I did and continue working toward the PMP.

Good luck!
Edwin Bell – CAPM & PMP
13 years 9 months ago #1520

Zane

Missy,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and opinions regarding the CAPM. Congratulations on passing! Just a curiousity question, if I might ask - what made you decide on the CAPM versus the PMP? I am also leaning towards the CAPM versus the PMP, due mainly to only having true experience (meaning experience based on the PMBOK Guide) with project management for the last two years. Should I perhaps wait and gain more experience and then buckle down and take the PMP, or is it never too soon to start gaining credentials and do the CAPM? Cornelius, if you are reading this (or anyone else), perhaps you could chime in?

Thanks,

Zane
14 years 1 day ago #1374

Missy Lipinski

Hello, well I am happy to say I passed my CAPM exam.

I sat the paper based exam and had to wait 3 weeks to get my results. In the exam, there was myself and a PMP test taker. The exam provider spent 15 minutes explaining the test process, but we did not get any time before the exam for brain dumps. I wrote down all the formulas on the paper provided before I began the test, and felt this really helped with some of the questions. We were given calculators in the exam.

I managed to complete the test in 2 hours, and spent the last hour reviewing the questions. I felt confident I had passed.

For the study preparation, I used the following resources:-
- PM PrepCast downloaded onto my iPod touch
- The PMP Exam - How to pass on your first try book by Andy Crowe
- Velociteach CAPM online course
- PMBOK 4th edition (I did not read cover to cover)
- University studies - I studied the PMBOK 3rd edition in university a couple of years ago.
- MindMaps I found on the internet and my own creations.

The combination of studies really helped with the exam.

Good luck everyone.

Melissa Lipinski - CAPM :-)
14 years 1 week ago #1361

Edwin Bell

Hello Everyone,
Today I passed the CAPM exam!!!!!!

I started studying about 4-5 months before my exam date, slacked off around the Thanksgiving / Christmas holidays, but really focused on the studying 2 months before the exam.

My study resources were:
* PM PrepCast podcast modules downloaded into iTunes.
* PM Flashcards downloaded into my iPod.
* PM Formulas.
* Ready Set Pass exam simulator
* And of course the very dry PMBOK 4th edition.

Through my studies I listened to all of the PM PrepCast modules, flipped through so many flashcards that I felt cross-eyed, studied the formulas for a week straight, took oodles of simulated exams, and read through the PMBOK twice.

This was what it took for me to feel comfortable with passing the exam on the 1st try.

Very grateful to Cornelius for making the studying fun and captivating my attention...

Good luck with your studies everyone!!!

Edwin Bell - CAPM B)
14 years 1 month ago #1348

Martine Monney

Hi Stephanie,
I have just join the discussion group. I'm studing for the CAPM exam. It's fun being with Corneluis. Where are you in your study? I need some clarification about the "Output from planning" (the second input of the Develop Project Management Pan). Can you explain it to me? I appreciate it. Thank you.

Martine.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login