fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed Exam With 5xAT

Passed Exam With 5xAT 3 years 10 months ago #21740

• Kyle Kilbride
  • Kyle Kilbride's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Preface: There are several ways to study for the exam, and each strategy has their particular strengths depending on how you learn. This strategy worked well for me and got me 5 x AT, but YMMV.

Study Materials

I started off with the tried and true Rita’s 9th edition. I would read one chapter in detail, and take detailed notes I could refer back to. Don’t listen to the nonsense at the start that says if you’re not an expert you won’t pass – you just need to be willing to put in the work. After reading the chapter in Rita’s (I would split the longer chapters up over 2 days) I read the corresponding chapter in PMBOK. I also developed a spreadsheet with a tab for each knowledge area with ITTOs for each Process. I would review this if I had a spare minute. I know some folks either didn’t read or couldn’t get into PMBOK. My engineering background has my quite accustomed to reading dull technical jargon, so this wasn’t an issue for me, and helped reinforce important concepts. After reading both I did the practice quiz in Rita’s – scores ranged from 75% to 90%. I would review concepts until I got over 80% on these quizzes. Took me roughly 3 weeks to get through Rita and PMBOK with this approach.

Next step was to buy PrepCast. This was truly invaluable for putting the pieces together. Rita’s book is good to teach the material, but the exam simulator forces you to put it all together. The explanations are what sets it apart, if you are able to I strongly recommend it. It’s definitely possible to pass without it – but I relied on my decision tree (haha) and purchased it. My scores were as follows on the exams:
- Exam 1: 87%
- Exam 2: 91%
- Exam 3: 91%
- Exam 4: 83% (I rushed this one and was distracted)
- Exam 5: 89%
- Exam 6: 89%
- Exam 7: 89%

I did not do the ITTO exam, and aimed to finish the exams I did in 3 hours. My strategy for these exams was to mark every question that I wanted to read the explanation for. Basically any question that I couldn’t eliminate all of the incorrect answers for (e.g. I guessed between two answers) I would flag for review. At the end of the exam I would review each flagged question in detail and review the topics in Rita’s and PMBOK. I booked my exam after Exam 5. I read through my notes every few days as well to keep things fresh.

The Exam (1st Try)
Long story short, I got 20 questions into my first exam and it crashed. It took 7 days for me to be able to reschedule, and I was only able to take my exam 2 weeks after my original date. This was stressful and I was concerned about retaining knowledge. I redid PrepCast questions and re-read my notes. I also did a very quick read of the Agile Practice guide (after reading some people got a lot of these questions). This quick read and the explanations in PrepCast are more than adequate to prepare you for these questions on the exam.

The Exam

I found the exam to be just as difficult as the PrepCast exams. I had roughly 10 agile questions and they were not difficult. If you read through the Agile Practice Guide once you should have no issues. A lot of change request related questions, risk, stakeholder, and procurement. This exam does not test your ability to memorize anything. It tests your understanding and your ability to pull it all together. If you put in the time with practice questions it will really help you. There were at least 10 questions that I was able to answer because I had investigated the concept in PrepCast.

Closing
Some extra tips, my exam froze once and I couldn’t click anything. I tried hitting alt+n to go to the next question and that worked. If your exam freezes, try that! Trust your gut. Some of the questions can be vague and it seems like every answer is correct, but if you read each option a little more closely you’ll see words that don’t align with what’s being asked and you can start to eliminate.

Good luck, and thanks everyone!

Passed Exam With 5xAT 3 years 10 months ago #21743

• Geeta Saini
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Congratulations Kylie!! This is indeed a great achievement.

Where can I find Agile practice guide?

Passed Exam With 5xAT 3 years 10 months ago #21754

• Kyle Kilbride
  • Kyle Kilbride's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It's free for PMI members. You can access it if you're a member.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login