fbpx

Reply: Lessons Learned - Passed in first try!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Lessons Learned - Passed in first try!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 10 months ago #21498

Pierre Paris

Congrats Vidula,

can you please share you experience with the exam questions? How was the exam, was it harder then the simulator ? What percentage of exam questions were harder then simulator , what percentage was easier and what percentage was similar? what knowledge are you had the most questions from? what was your percentage during simulator test?
When you started the exam did the clock started from 240 minutes ?

sorry for asking so many question but it will definitely help others
3 years 10 months ago #21494

Vidula Ranshinge

Hi All,

Finally got some time to provide my lesson learned to attempt PMP exam.

I had started my PMP journey about 8 months ago, and passed the exam on Saturday 30th May.

The Preparation

1. The training at ExamsPM was a good foundation for my PMP learning. After that, I read through the PMBOK guide. I found the language and explanation a bit difficult to digest the first time. It took me longer than expected. I then read Rita Mulcahy book twice. Very helpful to understand and easy language. Rita’s guide also includes useful tips about the exam, and situational-based scenarios. In my opinion, if you read more than 2 books, it is confusing. I also went though immersion course with Carl Pritchard and Linkedin course by Sandra Mitchell.

2. I was attempting some mock exams (free ones) during my preparation to gauge my readiness for the exam and get used to the situational-based questions. As Carl P. said, 20 questions everyday even score is not good. This really helps. I have provided few useful sources in the end of this email.

3. When I finished Rita's book first time, I bought PM PrepCast. This has 8 full length practice exams and also pick and choose # of questions time or learning based. I didn't score more than 80% though :P but was confident enough for the exam. The free sources and PM PrepCast I would say the PM PrepCast simulates the PMP exam question format. Very happy for my choice to buy this.

4. If you’re a registered PMI member, you have also free access to 200 questions from the PMI body itself. It's free but you need to order it and the link to access this exam is provided in your email.
Order the practice questions from PMI
www.pmi.org/shop/p-/elearning/pmp%c2%ae-...YXnVcGF67IBypz49aNa4

5. Finally, I went to this site edward-designer.com/web , for the compressed PMP study notes on all the knowledge areas. It’s a summarized version of the PMP concepts and useful to read as the last material to go through before the exam day.

The Exam

1. Due to COVID-19 lockdown, the centers are closed. My previous 2 exams were cancelled. When PMP exam was started online exam, I was little hesitant. But I didn't want to wait longer, so scheduled it for online attempt. Please perform the system check in advance. For me due to corporate firewall, the sample test didn't work on my laptop. I used my husband's laptop. But I had done system test well in advance.

2. On Exam day, login 30 min before the scheduled time. You again need to do system check and once you are ready, the proctor will join and we need to show 360 view. They might ask you to move few things. Once you are done, you can start your exam or you can wait till the scheduled time.

3. After first half, the prompt will appear if need 10 min break. But you need to review previous answers if you want as you won't be able to access it later. I was well ahead of time so I reviewed the answers. But it takes time from your schedule and for later half, I couldn't complete last 2 questions. Please focus on time management.

4. Time management – The exam is a 200 questions multiple test with a duration of 240 minutes (4 hours). That means we are expected to have answered 50 questions every hour. I always checked my time every hour to check the number of questions I had attempted.

5. For calculations, I got only 1 question. :)

6. After the exam, the message will be displayed. For me, it displayed as 'Congratulations!...." but I clicked Next and it took me to survey. For entire day, I couldn't find my score and results. :D The next day, I received email on my achievement.

Lastly, have a good rest before the exam. The 4 hours will test your mental stamina.

Here are the sources I used
1. www.edwel.com/Free-Resources/PMP-Certifi...n-Practice-Exam.aspx
2. www.oliverlehmann.com/contents/free-down...Sample_Questions.pdf
3. www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/100-free-questions.htm
4. www.simplilearn.com/pmp-exam-prep-free-practice-test
5. free.pm-exam-simulator.com/free-pmp-exam-simulator (free with 60 questions)

7. www.google.com/search?q=PMP+Material+NOT...QBQ&biw=1920&bih=969
8. www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-exam-questions (bought PM PrepCast)
9. edward-designer.com/web/pmp-guide/

Do not take stress. Believe in yourself and write the exam. Stay blessed. If you have any question, do not hesitate to email me back.

Thanks and Regards,
Vidula

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login