fbpx

Reply: Online PMP Exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Online PMP Exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 10 months ago #21262

Joshua Jordan

Thanks for the insight. I'm pretty concerned about the points you're making. I'm confident based on the PrepCast questions, but I recently took the PMI PMP practice exam and the questions provided absolutely no context. I missed 23 out of 50 and I couldn't even deduce the logic from the answers provided. If this is how the real PMP exam is, I'm not sure the PrepCast or Rita's book prepared me... Do you have any recommendations on how to bridge that gap?
3 years 10 months ago #21243

Riaz Hassan

's Avatar

Bright wrote: Hi Riaz,

Please do you have your results yet and how long does it take to have results in the online proctored exam?

That's another thing I'll mention about the experience. After clicking "next" for 4 hours, the end of the exam is pretty anti-climactic. You hit next one more time and there's just a quick page that says "Congratulations" and says you'll receive an email in 1-3 business days. I wasn't even 100% sure I passed at that point! I wrote the exam on Friday and they did end up emailing me early Saturday morning with the official breakdown of the full exam - with a clear Pass and "Above Target" indications on each area.
3 years 10 months ago #21217

Jens Holst Gundersen

Hi. Congratulations.
I see you meantion 200 questions supplied by PMI. Where can I find those?

I'm taking the exam on tuesday and hope I'll be ready - I'm doing my absolute best.
3 years 10 months ago #21212

Jeffrey Falatic

"I feel like I wasn't really tested on any of it. I was almost exclusively tested on my ability to wade through obfuscation and ambiguity"

The example 200 questions that PMI put out made me feel the same way.
Congrats to you.
3 years 10 months ago #21194

Bright

's Avatar

Hi Riaz,

Please do you have your results yet and how long does it take to have results in the online proctored exam?
3 years 10 months ago #21192

Riaz Hassan

I spent a while debating about the online exam so I thought I'd share my experience with you. I wrote it earlier today after having my original exam cancelled twice due to COVID-19.

-I was trying to be in good time and logged in about 40 minutes early. But the link does not become available until 30 minutes early
-I also did the system check when prompted via email about 2 days before my test - but this is a waste of time - they make you do it all over again on exam day. Moderate privacy concerns.... who knows where that copy of my Driver's license is now!
-they were having technical issues with my login. Brace yourself. I had to submit photos 4 or 5 times in a row before it finally worked
-you chat with someone who does the check-in procedure - but I never made any contact with the proctor. They're just there I assume. There is a small box showing your own webcam right at the top of the screen the whole time.
-It's pretty straightforward otherwise. The highlight and strikethrough features are theoretically useful but i found they took too much time to be practical. Use sparingly. I ended up needing the entire 4 hours just to get through the exam
-I didn't actually get any demo or lesson on the whiteboard. It's easy enough to figure out but it's pretty useless compared to paper/pen. And a huge pain in the ass to try to do a complicated network diagram with. I probably spent a solid 8 minutes on that question and still screwed it up. I know I could have done it easily in 2 minutes on paper. In the grand scheme things that's only one question and I didn't get many questions that really required paper

As for the exam itself, I really did not enjoy it. Yes, I passed (above target!) on my first attempt. But I expected it to be a better experience after the amount of effort I put into it. There is a ton of knowledge gained through studying the PMBOK. And I feel like I wasn't really tested on any of it. I was almost exclusively tested on my ability to wade through obfuscation and ambiguity. Maybe it's just luck of the draw. I'd say 90% of my test questions were significantly harder than the exam simulator questions. I had to read many questions 3 or 4 or 5 times and still had no idea what they were even asking. I found exam simulator questions to be fairly easy to quickly decipher and put yourself within a process, or at least process group. Not so with my PMP exam. All that to say, It's a tough exam. Use the simulator - but recognize the simulator may not be at a PMP exam level in terms of difficulty. This will affect your pacing on the exam too. It takes a lot longer to read ambiguous questions. I had no problem writing in 4 hours in my simulator exams - but I used every second in my PMP exam and still had to give up on a few marked questions I would have liked more time to consider.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login