fbpx

Reply: Passed on my first attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed on my first attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 9 months ago #17668

Jenikka Ebias

Hi Joao,

Congratulations no passing the PMP Exam! Thank you very much for sharing your experience preparing for and taking the actual exam. We wish you all the best in your career and your future endeavors!
4 years 9 months ago #17661

Joao Sitefane

Hello,

I passed the exam on my first attempt, with AT in all 5 domains, and I would like to share my experience with you.

Study plan:
I studied the PMP concepts from a handbook that was provided by the company that gave me the 35 contact hours – 5 or 6 full reads – and also the PMBOK Guide, to review in more detail some of the processes.

In the middle of the study, I started to take notes and did a summary guide (mainly focused on ITTO), which I reviewed in each read of the handbook. In the last weeks, I basically studied from my notes.

The PrepCast quizzes and simulation exams were also an essential part of my study. I advise you to do 2 or 3 exams, so you can feel the weight of a 200 questions 4-hour exam, and also test your exam strategy (if you are going to do a brain dump, how many breaks you are going to take, etc.). I don’t think it’s necessary to do more than 3 exams, because it will require a significant amount of your study time and also because you will start to find questions that you already answered in previous exams.

I ended up investing most of my study time in the timed quizzes (40-50 questions) with the "unanswered questions" option selected. After the quiz, I would review the wrong answers and update my study notes if necessary.

I needed a total of 140 hours preparing for the exam, during a 3 month period. The 2 weeks before the exam were, obviously, the most demanding.

Final exam:
The type of questions is similar to what we found in the PrepCast, including the fact that there are few questions with formulas in the final exam (just 5 or 6).

However, comparing to PrepCast, I found that the answer options in the exam were more difficult, or in other words, it was much less obvious witch was the correct answer (sometimes I had doubts between 3 options). This caused me to build up some mistrust and frustration during the exam. After passing through all the questions, I had marked for review 40+ questions, while in PrepCast exams I would typically mark 20.

I needed the full 4 hours to answer and review all the questions, and in the end I wasn’t sure if I had passed or failed the exam. I was very relieved when the “congratulations, you have passed” screen appeared, and the AT in all domains was a completely unexpected outcome given the mixed feelings I had during the exam.

Best of luck to all of you!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login