fbpx

Reply: Lessons Learned -2nd Attempt Passed PMP Exam

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Lessons Learned -2nd Attempt Passed PMP Exam

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 9 months ago #17671

Cornelius Fichtner

Laura,

Congratulations on passing your exam on the second try!

I'm currently writing an article for those who have failed their first attempt to help them get ready for another try. What are some of the recommendations and tips that you have for anyone who is "picking up the pieces" and wants to prep for a second go around?
4 years 9 months ago #17670

's Avatar

Hi Laura,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! We appreciate you sharing your experience preparing for the exam, and giving some suggestions for future test-takers. We're glad you found our PrepCast helpful in your studies. We wish you all the best in your career and future endeavors!
4 years 9 months ago #17654

Laura Kelly

's Avatar

I started this journey about a year ago with very little business acumen even though I had been leading projects for years. Yesterday I passed the PMP exam for certification, my second attempt.

I wish I would have invested in PrepCast first. Prior to my first attempt, I started with reading the PMBOK and then I entered into an online course through a local university. It was nothing like PrepCast. It was 99.99% reading on your own with no audio or video...not the way I learn. After that first certification attempt I gave myself a month off. I then turned to PrepCast. I heard a number of people that passed the exam on first attempt when using the program.

At the beginning of each week I committed myself to completing a certain number of videos and or time based on my work/life schedule. I would at times allow myself a day off. I also purchased the test simulator. I completed most of the simulator through the learning format, not timed. Then, once I finished all test questions once, I took exams of only questions I answered incorrectly. Marking the wrong questions to correct answer if answered wrong again-taking advice from others not to review wrong answers multiple times. My test scores on first attempts were around 75%. Test scores were consistent and I had done all that I could studying and reviewing. I was ready. It took approximately a month to complete the videos and a month of test simulate.

Suggestions, in no particular order:
-invest time in support- network,
-the application completion takes a lot of time - before opening application, gather details, prepare your 500 word descriptions of projects and review details/give heads up to your contacts on application,
-brain dump formulas at start of exam even if you think you know it,
-make a firm commitment to study time,
-discuss extreme test anxiety with your doctor and PMI,
-do not memorize ITTOs - understand why such and such is an ITTO,
-understand that what needs to be done next for an iterative process is not necessarily in the flow of the process chart,
-spend time on understanding the change management process,
-there are number of ways that you can graphically see a critical path, free float or total float question, be prepared,
-success in this process will need to be achieved in your own manner, lessons learned are not the Bible,
-treat your preparation, test day and entire process like the project manager you are!

Thank you.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login