fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP - 1st Attempt today (05/30/19)

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP - 1st Attempt today (05/30/19)

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 9 months ago #17576

Stan Po - Admin

Dear Jon,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
4 years 9 months ago #17575

Jon Watson

I have always been a horrible test taker. I can know the material very well and then second guess myself or choke
when it comes to exams. I have always said that I would get a "B" grade on a personal history exam on my own life
because I would talk myself out of the obvious answers.

With that noted, here are the facts:

Study time:
about 32 hours per week for 2 months (I am in between full-time jobs so most of my studying came during the week days)

Resources:
PMBOK: Not exciting obviously, but good information
Rita's Exam Prep: really liked this book for explaining some things. Did all the chapter tests as I read the chapters.
PMP Quick Reference Guide: decent quick guide but I didn't really need it in the long run
PMP Exam Prep Pocket Guide by Belinda Goodrich: Great guide/summary but the selling point for me was the ITTO lists.
That is how I finally began putting the flow together (2 days before my exam). It made it very easy to track "where" things went.
Such as seeing how "Work performance data" output became inputs to various processes and then how those developed the
"Work performance information" outputs, to where it eventually because "Work performance reports". For the Tools and Techniques
it just lists the main Tool when the details were too many so you would reference PMBOK for the details.
For example: Data gathering, or Data Analysis.

PM Prepcast Simulator & Videos: Perfect setup for what I needed. The test questions prepared me for the actual PMP format
of questions overall. It is possible that Prepcast was a little more difficult that the actual exam.
Although my actual exam had some really oddly phrased questions that were confusing.

Side note: I did not use flash cards. That type of learning doesn't work for me.

As stated earlier, I choke on tests, especially when I have to rush or feel time pressure. So I took only 3 full exams (I had planned
to do 6 but that didn't work out). I did a few shorter 50 question timed exams and (3) 100 question learning exams. Since I
could take my time on the learning exams and figure out what was asked those scores were way better than the timed exams.

Simulator tests #1: 71%, #2: 69%, #3: 76% [not good; reviewing missed answers, I was rushing without reading everything]
Learning quizzes: 87%, 90%, 86%, 83% [higher because I spent more time fully reading and analyzing what was asked ]
ITTO sample I stopped after question 33 just because I wanted to get a feel for if I new them and I got 27 correct, so 82%.

Today's real PMP exam scores were not as good as I had hoped, but again, considering my test choking, I am glad to get out alive.

Todays results were: AT, BT (oops), T, AT, AT.

So for anyone who can relate to my test taking issues, keep your attitude positive, continue learning, and then go pass the exam like you know you can. I did it, so I know you can also. Don't worry if you aren't scoring in the 80% range on these simulator exams like we have read many times. Just learn the material and go do your best. You will do great!!

Thank you PM Prepcast team for your product. It was the difference maker for allowing me to succeed on this exam. Blessings to you all.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login