fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP today on first try - THANK YOU!!!

Passed PMP today on first try - THANK YOU!!! 4 years 11 months ago #17351

• Y L
  • Y L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I passed my PMP exam today after about 5 weeks of studying; AT overall - 4ATs and 1 NI for Initiation

Background
I have several years of experience managing projects, with the last few managing larger, more complex projects. I previously did 3 project management courses (used these PDUs for PMP exam) towards a Certificate in Project Management. The courses helped us to apply PMBOK in different work situations and really helped me with my PMP exam prep because the concepts felt more relatable. Nevertheless, given all that I know about the PMP exam, I was nervous about taking on this challenge.

My study plan
Submitted application end of March 2019.
Studied Rita Mulcahy's book ("PMP Exam Prep"), skimmed PMBOK
I didn't memorize ITTOs but knew the context
As I work full-time with a young family, I had to squeeze in my studying whenever I can. Thank you so much to my tolerant children and supportive partner. It took me about 3 weeks to finish Rita's book and then I started answering the questions at the end of each chapter. I was averaging 69% to 80%. Most were in the low 70s. I also took some free mock exams online. I tried the free Exam Simulator and had 65% for each test. I then subscribed to the Exam Simulator and took a test (81%). At that point, I decided I need to commit, otherwise, I will lose momentum. I booked the exam 2 weeks ahead. Then I foccused on my weak areas, mostly reviewing Rita's book with support from PMBOK. Took 2 more full tests and lots of 10 - 100 exam questions. I started from 70s to getting over 80% before my exam.

The weekend before my exam, I picked up Andy Crowe's book ("PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try"). I bought both Rita and Andy, but never opened Andy's book. I tried the final exam in the back of the book and it was demoralizing! The questions were just confusing and meant to trick you. With only a few more days to my exam, I decided to not look at his book anymore. It was really discouraging and confusing me more. In hindsight, I am glad I stopped because those questions were nothing like the actual exam.

Exam day
I was told to arrive 30 mins before my appointment. I was very anxious about traffic, so I arrived 2 hours before my appointment. I found a parking spot and sat in my car to have my lunch. After 20 mins, I had to leave my car. I figured I'll do better waiting inside the testing centre. When I arrived at the centre, the lady asked if I want to take the exam earlier. I was happy to take that offer!
The exam questions are exactly like the Exam Simulator. A few of them were difficult, I couldn't choose between two answers. Only 3 questions with calculations. One agile question. Mostly about change control. I wasn't allowed access to my locker once I started. I was allowed to leave my water bottle out and can go to the bathroom or drink. But I didn't leave the test. I finished the 200 questions with about 30 mins to spare. Reviewed marked questions and there were 6 more that I just couldn't decide between two answers. At that point, I looked at the time and it showed 42 seconds to go. I thought, "oh well, I really can't overthink these last few questions anymore. Here goes". I ended with seconds before the exam ends. I agree with everyone else about the survey afterwards. That was torture. Then the screen said "Congratulations!". I got 4AT's and Initiation was Needs Improvement. My score made sense because the marked questions were all around charters and sponsor relationship.

That sums up my lessons learned. Thank you so much for developing the Exam Simulator!
Last edit: by Y L.

Passed PMP today on first try - THANK YOU!!! 4 years 11 months ago #17352

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Y L,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Y L
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login