fbpx

Reply: Passed My PMP Exam 2ND Attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed My PMP Exam 2ND Attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 11 months ago #17063

Chukwuka Eluchie

Well I passed my PMP and I'm super excited
I thought I should share a couple of lessons I learned from both Attempts

1) DO NOT SPEND TOO MUCH TIME BETWEEN YOUR APPLICATION AND YOUR EXAM
On my first attempt I applied in July 2018 and scheduled my exam for December that didn't help me seriously study. From other PMP holders they spent roughly 3-4 months preparing for the exam. 6 months for me didn't help. I rescheduled my exam at the end of January (after much moaning) to 8th of April and had to plan an effective study plan to accommodate my work.

2) DO NOT READ JUST PMP EXAM PREP by RITA MULCAHY
On my first try all I read was this. It's a good book but not the only resource for you to read. I was wrongly advised to read this twice. On my second attempt ensured I read through the PMBOK Guide and Agile techniques

3) PREPCAST IS GOOD FOR REVISION
I made a lot of notes during my study so I used prepcast videos for each knowledge area to review what I had studied. I would highlight any areas that were discussed on the Prepcast videos and add any additional notes to help me remember

4) DONT BE AFRAID TO REVISE YOUR STUDY PLAN
When ever I was falling behind in my study plan I was quick to revise the plan switching study times and removing any activity that was encroaching on my study. I intended to finish any thing about my PMBOK guide before doing any practise tests in March. I was unable to. but I started the tests anyway and used the results of the tests to help refine my study pattern and topics to focus on ahead of the exam.

5) PREPCAST SIMULATOR IS EXCELLENT
I did a 4 how exam for every weekend in March. main goal was to ensure I could comfortable sit down for 4 hours. I never used the PREPCAST on my first try. I toyed with the free questions. but once I failed I ensured I bought the package.
My scores were
1st attempt - 77%
2nd Attempt - 71%
3rd Attempt - 74.5%
4th Attempt - 76%
5th Attempt - 77%
I didn't review the questions I failed only the questions I had marked during the exam to understand the reason when I was confused. I used the score breakdown to know what knowledge areas to focus on.
During my golden week I used the timed lessons function to take tests (selecting from questions I had failed) this was to help ensure I understood those topics better.

6) GET ENOUGH REST
My exam was scheduled on a Monday. I did NO studying in the weekend before it. I spent time resting and playing my piano to be relaxed.

7) WISH I HAD STUDY PARTNERS
This process was tough for me because I didn't have people pursuing the same target with me. These exams are expensive in Nigeria and alot of the people I had attending the courses with weren't able to fork out the cash immediately so it wasn't priority anymore to them . I'm repaying people I borrowed from to ensure I was able to take the exam and especially the resit before my eligibility period expired

8) PRAY
I do nothing without lots and lots of prayers

finally smashed the exam on the 8th o f April from being below target on the 14th of December
My Breakdown was
Initiating -ABOVE TARGET
Planning - ABOVE TARGET
Executing - ABOVE TARGET
Monitoring and Controlling - ABOVE TARGET
Closing - TARGET

I'm so glad to be adding PMP to my Resume now

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login