fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on first try

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on first try

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 2 weeks ago #16734

Jenikka Ebias

Hi Nikhil,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! We are so pleased to know your hard work paid off! Thank you for sharing in details with us here the steps you took and the materials you used throughout this journey. I'm confident aspiring project managers would find your tips useful with their own preparations as well.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
5 years 3 weeks ago #16682

Nikhil Handa

Hello everyone,

I passed PMP exam on first try. This is how i did it:

1. Go thru PM Prepcast videos
2. Go thru Rita book

4. Go thru PMBOK.

Once I reviewed the material, i start practicing 20~30 questions online(free)/Rita online/PM Prepcast. Then fill gaps thru reviewing incorrect questions. Once i did enough practice exams,
i was ready to take 4 hr exam from PM precast. I took total 7 precast practice exams and failed 6. I only passed one with 71%. I took these exams in 10 day period. I spent a month reading all material.
Then extra 2 weeks to practice exams. I noticed that practice exams say that there is no guarantee that you will pass PMP exam. I said to myself if i pass or fail this exam, doesn't imply i will not pass PMP
exam. This was tough to believe but i kept ignoring negativity. I was very nervous that i was not passing the practice exams. I remember after failing exam 4 i was loosing hope that i will not pass PMP
exam. The stats and knowledege gaps were reflecting my score.I watched motivational videos to get back on track. I reviewed all incorrect questions in detail in the practice exams.

I noticed questions were wrong due to:
1. not reading question properly.
2. not reading answers properly.
3. not understanding question and/or answers properly.
4. knowledge gap
5. Time management.

please note there is difference in reading and understating.

I kept going with practice exams no matter fail or pass. I re-read PMBOK so many times that i lost count. I started tailoring my study and reading skills to fill gaps. As english is my second language,
i had to develop reading skills to pass this exam. I wrote things to remember and started visualizing how chapters/topics were connected. The link of a youtube video was great help.
I watched multiple times. I asked myself why this ITTOs belong to this chapter and where it starts and it end. As you soon as i started answering why's, i was able to gain confidence and
motivate that i will pass.

On final note, please read PMBOK slowly and ask yourself why. for example Why do i need to do this first, why stakeholder list, why this tool or technique. My goal was not just to pass PMP exam and
not having a clue about fundamentals. I learned from my pass experience, if you don't understand fundamentals, you will not successful or happy. I gained momentum in last 3~ 4 days before my exam.
I was struggling with Executing domain and i got Above target on the exam.

Hope this helps.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login