fbpx

Reply: Passed my PMP on first attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed my PMP on first attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 1 month ago #16659

Jenikka Ebias

Hi Harini,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! Thank you for sharing your lessons learned here with us.
5 years 1 month ago #16609

Harini Beeravolu

Hi All,
I passed my PMP exam on Feb 14th 2019 on my first attempt. I have started preparing from November 2018 and scheduled my exam for Feb 2019. I was planning to give this exam from 2 years but could not plan properly. Finally, I decided to make time and scheduled a date first.
I took PMP training from Edureka and got 35 PDUs. Their training and material is good to understand basics.
Later, I started with Head First PMP and then went through Rita Mulchay once. I did not study PMBOK 6 as I found it very exhaustive. Head first and Rita were useful in understanding concepts and I became aware of what type of questions will be asked in PMP main exam based on the questions given at end of each chapter in these books along with other exercises. I did not memorize ITTOs or prepared any brain dumps. I was working as a PM from 6 years, I tried to understand the concepts of each domain and knowledge area and tried to relate the concepts to my day-day work. After I finished Rita, I started taking mock tests as I felt sitting continuously for 4 hours and taking the test without losing focus needs lot of practice. I was searching for some good mock test sources and found prepcast. In the first 2 mock tests, I scored 69% and 71 %. Based on the detailed score card given in prep cast based on knowledge area and domain, I tried to study on areas where I was lagging. It really helped me a lot. I have found their answers and the justifications given for each wrong answer extremely useful. I realized that I need to think from PMBOK point of view and not based on my experience as a PM, in scenario-based questions.
After brushing topics where I am lagging, I took next 3 mock tests. Gradually, my timing has improved and I was able to manage by eliminating 2 answers and decide on the correct answer. I was able to come up to 76% by my mock test 7. I took other online mock tests from simplilearn, Fahad Usmani, Edureka and Oliver F Lehmann. My average score in these mock tests were 75-78% depending on the complexity of questions. During last 2 weeks, I took other free mock tests available online and studied one knowledge area per day at a high level.
I felt like giving up most of the times but I kept faith in higher calling and went on. I could not take off from work to study as I was serving my notice period. I studied 4-5 hours a day during first 45 days and later 6-7 hours in last 15 days.
One week before exam, I was tried to do as many sample questions as possible and was brushing topics I was unsure.
The main exam was tougher than I thought.
1) Only one question on critical path; One question on EVM - to calculate EAC, pretty straight forward.
2) All questions were scenario based and several questions had extraneous information which was no way relevant to the question being asked.
3) No direct questions on ITTOs. We need to identify the process based on the details given in question and determine the correct answer.
4) 2 questions on types of contracts.
5) Several questions on procurement management, communication & quality tools, resource management and schedule management.
6) I personally found closing domain questions toughest. I had tough time choosing between 2 options.
7) While taking practice tests I developed a pattern – To give 25 questions at once, mark unsure ones and review these 25 once before moving on to next 25 questions. This way I was left with 20 minutes at the end during my mock tests to review marked questions. During main exam, I was only left with 12 minutes in the end and I did not have sufficient time to review marked questions.
8. I took a break after 2 hours. It consumed 7 minutes of my exam time as security check is mandatory even when you go on break, but I needed it as I was in need of change in scenery.
9) After the end time, there was a survey before you get results. I passed with Above target over all.
Initiating – Target
Planning – Above target
Executing – Above Target
Monitoring and Controlling – Above target
Closing – Target

I am thankful to my family for being supportive and helped me study during these 2 months. My heartfelt thanks to Prep-cast for preparing such great mock tests which were close to real exam.

Wishing all PMP aspirants’ good luck :)

Regards,
Harini

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login