fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP on first try; my study strategy.

Passed PMP on first try; my study strategy. 5 years 1 month ago #16516

• Edward J Crawford
  • Edward J Crawford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. I thought I would add my strategy to this forum. I just passed on the first attempt with all AT.

I took basic ITTO notes first from the PMBOK guide THEN listened to the PMPrepCast videos; that way I wasn't
scribbling and listening at the same time and could get more detail of what was being said.
I found an old spreadsheet of the ITTO details (maybe originally from Dan Ryan?); each line was
(example:) Knowledge area-Process Group-Input/Output/Tool-list of all the individual I/O/T.
I found this good for giving a searchable, easier, holistic view of what output of Process A feeds into input of Process B, etc.
(I wish PMPrepCast would provide a 6th edition version so I could get all my materials in one place....).

THEN I took 5 Simulator Tests (these tests are a Must-do for time management and question familiarity), studying between each one,
and I kept a Lessons Learned sheet of all my wrong answers. I also made a couple of formula sheets for quick reference.

My test scores went from 67% to 79% (all AT eventually) so I felt I was ready.

The PMP Test was the same difficulty as the practice exams I thought, but most of the questions were shorter, which helped with the
time management. There were a few calculation questions and a few concept of calculations questions.
Mostly "what would you do next" or "what did you do wrong" questions.

Good Luck!

Passed PMP on first try; my study strategy. 5 years 1 month ago #16551

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Edward,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! Thank you very much for sharing your experience preparing for and taking the PMP Exam here in the forum.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login