fbpx

Reply: PMP Exam Passed Yesterday - Here is What Worked for Me

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Exam Passed Yesterday - Here is What Worked for Me

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 2 months ago #19473

Julia

's Avatar

Cingratulationa on passing PMP exam !
Thank you for sharing what work for you .
Did you memorise all inputs, tools and outputs fie all areas ?

Thank you
5 years 6 months ago #15126

Stan Po - Admin

Dear Daniel,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
5 years 6 months ago #15124

Daniel Dewart

3 ½ months and over 200 hours of preparation. Yesterday I took the PMP v6 test for the first time and passed. I exceeded target for all process areas except closing, where I met target. The test is not easy, but if you prepare for it properly, you will have an excellent chance of passing the first time.
I am not a good test taker, in matter of fact I hate taking tests, but a long time ago, I received a word of advice from a professor in a computer class I was taking; he said “when you write a paper, use the language of the course. Don’t call it a ‘widget’ if here in class the course material calls it a ‘doodad’; don’t say ‘computer’ if the class material calls it a ‘workstation’. Learn to recognize and use the language of the course when taking tests and writing papers”. This was, and still is excellent advice!
After studying for, and passing, my CompTIA S+, ITIL, CISSP, PMP, and completing two Masters degrees, I discovered that ever test, every course, and ever scholastic undertaking has its own peculiar culture, tenor, and language. My best advice to you, reference the PMP test, is to learn the language and tenor of the test material – and the PM PrepCast question bank was an excellent resource for this. The questions are framed in the tenor and language of the PMP test – in matter of fact, the quality of the PM PrepCast questions is better than any other simulated PMP test I took, and I took a lot of them from different providers.
I was a little put off by PM PrepCast’s PDF documents on “How to memorize the PMP processes” as it still referenced the processes in PMP v5, and my email to the help desk received a “we are not going to change it because it does not affect the technique being taught”, but I am here to tell you - stick with their PMP Exam Simulator – it is absolutely the best I have seen! To me, taking the PM PrepCast questions was like working in project management under an experienced mentor. The question would ask you how something was done, or what needed to be done next, and if you got it wrong, the explanation given in the answer was of excellent quality – almost as if your mentor was explaining it to you.

So with all that being said, here is what worked for me;

1. Start studying at least three months out.
2. Plan on studying 15-20 hours a week. Set a schedule for studying – and stick to it!
3. Start by reading PMBOK v6 cover to cover, read the Agile supplement too. Don’t read it to memorize the material, just read it. Do this first, before you do anything else.
4. Read PMI’s Exam Content Outline – twice; once in the beginning, and once a couple of days before the test.
5. Do ALL of the 1600+ questions in PM PrepCast. Always set the question selection filter to “only questions I have not answered yet” to ensure you get through all the questions at least one time. Take the test in learning mode and review the answer to each question AFT ER you answer it.
6. Get the PMP Pocket Prep from the Apple Store.
7. In Pocket Prep; go to “Exam Readiness”->”Helpful Information” and read the “Mastering Your Multiple Choice Exam”. Repeat at least two more times prior to taking the test. This is by far the most useful article I have read for strategies on how to improve your multiple-choice test abilities.
8. Do all the PMP Pocket Prep questions – while these questions are not in the language and tenor of the course they will intensively drill you on ITTOs for processes.
9. Alternate between 20 questions on the PMP PrepCast and 20 questions on PocketPrep.
10. Listen to the track “Remember What You Read” from hypnosislive (available on the Apple Store). It may help you, I believe it definitely helped me.
11. Join PMI and download the PMBOK v6 & Agile Manual. Use this pdf file to rapidly look up data when you are looking up things you don’t understand in the PrepCast or PocketPrep tests.
12. Go over the diagrams and the high-level explanations for each process and ITTO several times.
13. If you get a practice question answer wrong then ARGUE with the PM PrepCast answer – get emotionally involved with the material – make PrepCast prove you wrong by researching the references PrepCast gives you to the answer. Curse and swear if you need to while researching the question – but 99.9% of the time you will definitely realize PrepCast is right – but getting emotionally involved with the test, being aggravated, frustrated, euphoric, and yes, even apologetic, is all part of the fun and will help you remember the material.

The day before the test

- Don’t drink any alcohol the night before the test. Lay out the clothes you will wear, Prepare a bottle of water and chocolate (brain energy), or a sandwich and a good sugary soft drink. Have everything prepared and ready to go BEFORE you go to bed. Watch the movie 300 (I did) and get at least 8 hours of sleep.

The day of the test
- Drink some coffee, eat a light meal and get to the testing center at least two hours early. Take some study material with you and review the ITTOs and the high-level definitions of each process. Relax – and good luck!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login