fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt

Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt 5 years 7 months ago #14984

• Katharyn Emmer
  • Katharyn Emmer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Last week I passed the PMP exam Above Target in All Five Areas! I am returning to share my lessons learned, as I've found these entries useful during my study. Many thanks to Prepcast for this forum and your materials, especially the exam simulations. I came to the PMP training not personally knowing any PMPs and with little idea of what to expect. I started study in May, watching about 55 hours of the prepcast series and taking notes as I did to try to adsorb content. Based on others recommendations, I bought Rita's PMP Exam Book, and read it through twice in June and July, completing all the exercises as I went. From there I completed all of the PMP quizzes and Rita's quizzes and checked all my wrong answers. I memorized the recommended formulas and practiced writing them out in a few quick minutes. I completed my first full exam simulation with PrepCast after so much study with about a month to go before the test and my first score was 55%. Disappointing. I went through every missed question and wrote out the correct principles and studied their sources in the PMBOK Guide. In additional exam simulations I was getting my scores into the mid/high sixties. Still not happy with my results, I doubled down on study and read the entire PMBOK, which I had avoided because I didn't like the digital format, taking notes on the outputs of each process. I memorized the processes and the order they occur. At about a week before taking the test, I began simulating testing conditions at home, ceasing eating at exam time and fasting until the exam would be over, limiting breaks from focused study or work to get used to the testing environment.

I agree with other commenters that the exam simulations and reviewing the reasons for correct answers is one of your most powerful study tools. All in all, I took five full exam simulations (highest score at home 79%) and I reviewed all questions I got wrong carefully. During the test, I took ~4 minutes to brain dump the formulas and my notes on the processes. I got through all 200 questions in about 3 hours and used the last hour to go back through marked questions carefully.

Here are my recommendations for someone starting out:
Do: Watch Ricardo Vargas video on the 49 processes to get an overview at the start of your study
Do: use more than one study material ie Prepcast modules and another source (I liked Rita's book but did not find it covered everything completely) and make time for taking more than one exam simulation with still more time to study so that you can learn what the questions are like and double down on any study you need.
Do: read the PMBOK guide, or at the very least the appendix at the back that goes through everything in order (Initiating, Planning, etc.). In my experience there were a number of little details in exam questions that were not covered by Rita's book and that I hadn't picked up in watching and note taking 50+ hours of PrepCast lessons. It's hard to spot wrong answers when you don't know which answer options are real and which are made up.
Do: Consider memorizing at least the 49 processes and their order in addition to the formulas. With some memory devices you can get it down and being able to place where a question in the exam is in the process should help you find the best answer out of the choices given several times. I did not memorize the ITTOs in their entirety but I did get really familiar with the outputs of each process.

Don't: Assume you got this with just 35 hours of training modules. The test questions are tricky and even a good learner will find the test difficult to pass without concerted effort beyond just the bare minimum training hours.

I hope this is helpful. After so much study and effort I was committed to doing everything in my power to pass on the first try and I am thrilled with my results. Good luck out there.

Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt 5 years 7 months ago #14986

• Leena Rizvi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi

How similar were the PMPprep cast simulation questions to the actual PMP test/exam?

Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt 5 years 7 months ago #14989

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Katharyn,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! Thank you very much for posting your lessons learned here.

Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt 5 years 7 months ago #14992

• Katharyn Emmer
  • Katharyn Emmer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I thought the actual exam questions were similar to the PrepCast simulation exam questions overall, although some on the real exam I thought had a much more obvious right answer and some I thought had no obvious right answer, in that 3 out of 4 of the options could have been the right answer so which is the best? Not having the PrepCast review of right /wrong answers at the end of the real exam, I am still not able to judge exactly which of the questions I got right. But yes I think the PrepCast situational questions are pretty accurate in their level of detail and trickiness. There was even one question on the real exam that I know I got right because I had an almost an identical question in an exam simulation!

At the end of the real test, I had about 12 questions that I had reviewed no less than 3 times and I could not work out what would be the clearly best answer. I think this is part of a a successful test result - you need to maintain focus and confidence even if some of the questions appear impossible. This is where I think taking 2 or more full exam simulations in advance is very valuable.

[email protected] 5 years 7 months ago #14995

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you so much for your feedback!

Passed PMP - AT in All Five Areas on First Attempt 5 years 7 months ago #14996

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Katharyn,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login