fbpx

Reply: My PMP Journey

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : My PMP Journey

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 8 months ago #14675

Andrei Publico

Seems like there are several ways to use PMBOK and Prepcast videos together.
Options 1. Read PMBOK cover to cover while making notes (I use onenote). Then view all prepcast videos after. Supplement the notes with new learnings or for emphasis.
Option 2. Read a PMBOK chapter and view corresponding prepcast videos for same chapter right after, then move on to next knowledge area.
Option 3. View prepcast videos for a certain chapter, then read corresponding PMBOK chapter right after before moving on to next Knowledge area

I followed Option1 and it worked for me. I guess to each his own. :)

YES i asked if i would be allowed, and they said i can bring my own (foam) earplugs as long as there are NO CORDS/strings. It was also mentioned the printed instructions at the prometric site when i signed in at the day of test. Best to call your center/site and inquire to be sure. I found it helps to condition my ears to use them while studying so it wouldnt be any different when i wrote my test.

you should be able to find the download button on the video page of prepcast. (three tiny dots at the bottom right corner of the video screen). Download each video manually.

Hope this answers your questions. GOOD LUCK and Blessing be upon you.
5 years 8 months ago #14665

Dulce Brumfield

Thanks so much for posting this. My exam got cancel in March due to weather and with an infant at home and husband starting new job it was a lot to do. Now getting back at this. I like your 8 week plan though aggressive seems good. Planning on doing 3- 4 hrs myself. I have three questions for you.

1. You think it was good to read PMBOK first before starting prepcast. At the beginning of every lesson it tells you the pages in PMBOK it covers so I have been reading those and then continuing with lessons.
2. I can't seem to download lessons on my PC. (looking into that now)
3. you were allowed to bring your own earplugs?

Thanks for your post very motivating and detailing and Glory to the Lord!
5 years 8 months ago #14661

Jenikka Ebias

Hi Andrei,

Congratulations on passing the PMP Exam! Thank you very much for sharing your lessons learned here.
5 years 8 months ago #14657

Andrei Publico

1. What worked for me:
a. Sign up for PMI membership; receive a free softcopy of PMBOK Guide 6th ed
b. Download, read and understand the PMP Handbook
c. Download, read and understand PMP exam content outline.
d. Seek best practices and lessons learned from 2 friends who recently earned their PMP certification. (Thank you ALEXANDER LIM !!! and BARBARA ENG!!!)
e. Develop study plan; and seek buy-in of my wife/family for their support for the next 2 months.
f. (D-day minus 8 weeks). Pay exam fee (discounted rate for PMI members); schedule my preferred exam date (8 weeks out)
g. Read PMBOK cover to cover and make personal notes using ONENOTE (which will prove to be instrumental in later reviews). Spend 3-4 hours daily
h. (D-day minus 4 weeks). Enroll in PM Prepcast Elite (includes exam simulator) for $269.
i. Download copy of PM Prepcast videos on my laptop. Sometimes view them on my iphone via podcast when I'm on the go. Watch and learn from videos for 3-4 hours daily. Jot notes in OneNote.
j. Accomplish the self-assessments after each chapter and note opportunities/mistakes.
k. Practice mapping the Process Group - Knowledge area GRID on a clean sheet everyday for the duration of the last 2 weeks before D-day. (Table 1-4. on page 25 of PMBOK). Do the same for EV formulae and other relevant "braindump" info.
l. (D-day minus 2 weeks). Review notes daily before taking mock exams on PM Prepcast simulator (complete 4 of 6 in 2 weeks timeframe; scores weren't as high as I would have wanted them. They range from 61% to 74% but I didn't let this discourage me.)
m. Use personal earplugs during study time to get my ears conditioned to it.
n. Review detailed exam results the day after taking each mock test. Go back to enhance notes in OneNote. Review both correct and incorrect answers to enhance strengths and improve on opportunities. Do this for all mock tests until D-day.
o. If I wasn’t doing mock exam, I was doing timed quizzes instead. Review correct and incorrect answers in detail. Read Glossary. Read some Lessons Learned/Forum in Prepcast LMS from time to time.
p. Go to Church every day and offer all my efforts to Jesus.
q. (D-day minus 2): Visit prometric testing site to get acclimated with the environment (car parking, reception, toilets, lockers; spoke to prometric staff to understand expectations around allowable vs prohibited items)
r. (D-day): Got enough rest the night before. Wake up early and drive to the testing center hours in advance. Visit the prayer room on-site (they had one at my center). Get settled at the location. Read PMI exam outline again. Read Code of Ethics again.
s. Go through check-in procedures and listen to instructions. Use my personal earplugs for duration of the test. Do a modified braindump after test instructions (I decided to write formulae only and not the KA/Process group Map anymore; saved me 10mins). Go through the test and check time on a periodic basis. Take 1 break by the 100th question. Review all previously marked questions until time is up. Earn and deserve the PMP. Give glory to the Lord. Stay humble.

2. What didn’t work for me:
a. I had copies of RITA 9, Headfirst, Flashcards, and other materials. I didn’t have ample time to read them during studies. But no regrets. PMBOK and Prepcast + simulator proved to be sufficient.
b. I have responsibilities at home and in the office too. Studying 4-6 hours daily can be exhausting.
c. There are weekends when I would skip studies to spend time with family instead. Play catch-up on weekdays.

3. My personal recommendations:
a. Sign up for PMI membership. Get help from awesome PMP-certified friends. Read and understand PMBOK 6th Ed. Purchase PM Prepcast elite (includes exam simulator). Jot notes in OneNote and Review often. Take as many mock exams and timed quizzes as you can, then review ALL results in detail (Prepcast explains these thoroughly - thank goodness!) . Read PMI info (exam content outline, Code of Ethics, PMP handbook). Get support of family. Pray. Pray. Pray.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login