fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Passed 1st Try, Above Target...Exam Simulator was the key!!!

PMP Passed 1st Try, Above Target...Exam Simulator was the key!!! 6 years 1 month ago #13756

• Felicia Phillips
  • Felicia Phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
First of all, I want to thank the PM PrepCast team for creating a quality product! I researched options for study materials and choose this program based on highly-rated reviews. It was definitely the best investment of all my materials, in particular the Exam Simulator, which I contend was the key to me passing the PMP on my first attempt with Above Target ratings.

To all of you PMP aspirants...I was in your shoes less than 6 hours ago. First, you CAN pass the PMP on your first attempt!!! Here’s how I did it and lessons learned. Before I dive into my process, I want to provide some context that may be helpful to some people out there:
#1) I am historically a weak test taker (exams have always given me anxiety, so this is not a strong area for me)
#2) I am a slower learner, so I usually have to spend more time to grasp concepts than the average person
#3) Because I am painfully aware of the above, I have to craft a study plan that is individualized to “How” I personally learn
#4) I have to work my butt off and practice, practice, practice for success

With that being said, my first piece of advice is : Know what type of “learner” you are AND create a study plan (and schedule) that fits your needs. For me, that meant tools like Boot Camps were out because the pace is generally too fast for me to actually learn. Instead, I opted for video based training where I could self-pace, rewind, etc.

Next piece of advice: Get a highly rated PMP prep book and use that to supplement the PMBOK. I personally chose Rita Mulcahy’s PMP Exam prep and Head First PMP, which uses images, stories and quirky activities to stimulate learning. In retrospect, although I appreciated the Head First approach, I found it confusing at times to have two drastically different prep guides. Mulcahy’s book was more comprehensive and would have been sufficient with the PMBOK.

Next: Review forums, lessons learned, etc. PM PrepCast’s website has some of the best articles, in my opinion, and I read a ton of them throughout my preparation. This aided in my effectiveness and helped me hone in on the best practices to fit my needs. The most helpful for me was the Brain Dump, which I highly recommend for practice and Exam Day.

Lastly: Get an effective Exam Simulator and use it! Obviously , I think PM PrepCast’s Exam simulator was the key in my study program. It helped me understand my weak areas, chart progress, build stamina for test day, simulate test conditions e.g. breaks, brain dump, and build my confidence (so very important...refer to my opening :-). I took extensive notes on the simulator feedback and built flash cards around the info, which I studied regularly. Honestly, I actually found the simulator to be more difficult than the actual exam (never scored higher than 79.5% in simulation). Final thoughts, give yourself sufficient study time, stick to your schedule, use the right tools for you personally, get a good night’s rest and eat appropriately on test day (Cornelius Fichtner tips that were absolutely correct), then knock that PMP exam out of the park!!! Wish you success
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login