fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passing the PMP Exam - Lessons Learned

Passing the PMP Exam - Lessons Learned 6 years 3 weeks ago #13433

• Alexandra
  • Alexandra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I wanted to post here, to say thank you to everyone who has posted before me. I read almost every thread here to determine whether I was ready for the exam and to prepare myself for what to expect. And so I would like to give back by sharing my own experience yesterday, February 28th.

I began my studying 7 weeks prior to my exam. I used only the PMBoK and Rita Mulcahy Prep. I took Headfirst, Oliver Lehman, Grey Matter and Prep cast exams. I scored on average 77% in these prep tests, with Oliver always being my lowest at 69%. I read the Rita Chapters 3 times, and the PMBoK twice. I highly recommend reading the PMBoK to its fullest, to fully grasp the ITTOs. I had a habit of breezing over these, and when I finally read every line of the PMBoK (it took me one whole week), I felt it was 100% worth the effort. My knowledge gaps greatly decreased when I took the practice exams, and it was easier to identify my gaps for further studying.

All I want to mention about the exam, is that it was difficult. Not to intimidate anyone, but I highly underestimated the mental focus it took to complete the exam. My strategy was to answer all 200 questions, without spending more than 2 minutes on any question, if I needed I would mark the question and return for review after I completed my first pass. The first 100 questions I was second guessing my answers - I marked a lot of questions for review. When I approached the second set of 100 questions, I told myself to keep focused and finish the first pass. I completed the first 200 in just over 2 hours. I was relieved to have answered all the questions.

I had sufficient time to review all of my marked answers. It was only then that I felt I had control over the exam and not the exam over me. I reviewed all the questions I had marked and changed 20% of my answers. At this point I was very doubtful that I would pass the exam, since I wasn't 100% confident in many of my answers.

I passed with above level proficiency - and I can attribute that to not doubting myself. I had to really tap into my knowledge: assessing what process I was in, making the best decision, and really trusting my studying. Don't doubt yourself - the exam is testing you. You are in control of the exam! Stay calm, stay focused - read every question and read every answer. And number one - don't panic!

Passed PMP Exam Today (1st Attempt) - Lessons Learned 6 years 3 weeks ago #13441

• Angela Letizia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I passed my PMP exam today (March 1, 2018) on my first attempt.

I visited this forum daily the month leading up to my exam, and found so much value in learning from others' shared experiences, that I felt it was only right to pay it forward and share my experience, too.

I'll keep it short. The 2 key resources I utilized primarily for my studying included:

1) "Head First" by Greene & Stellman - this book is very engaging and uses storying-telling-type examples and illustrations/graphics to help your brain understand and remember the data. While I did reference the PMBOK on occasion, the "Head First" book was my main resource.

2) The PM Prepcast PMP Exam Simulator - this was the BEST resource, by far, for helping me to prepare for the exam. I took 5 of the 200 question exams and averaged between 79-82%. The exam simulator's questions are incredibly similar to the questions in the PMP exam - and, in my opinion, the exam questions are actually a bit easier than the simulator questions. This tool gave me incredible insight into what I could expect for the exam. Thank you to the team who developed this incredible resource!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alena Alberani
Last edit: by Angela Letizia.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login