fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP in 1st Attempt with Overall"Above Target" and All 5 processes Areas with "Above Target"

Passed PMP in 1st Attempt with Overall"Above Target" and All 5 processes Areas with "Above Target" 6 years 2 months ago #13308

• Dharmesh Kumar Jayaswal
  • Dharmesh Kumar Jayaswal 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,
I am delighted to inform that I have passed the PMP exam yesterday with Overall and Individual with "Above Target". This result was also astonishing for me as during the whole exam I was thinking that I might have to come back for exam for second attempt. However when finally I saw result on screen, I was on top of the world. Let me share my entire journey of the Exam.
I have started the exam preparation by first purchasing the PMP Prepcast study module on 21st Nov 2017. I kept on listening the course on my I-phone. I had set my target to give 1st Attempt by mid-Feb and 2nd Attempt by mid of the March. I set such target by keeping in mind the PMBOK course revision date of 26th March. Yes, I have already made my mind that I might need to appear for the second attempt, based on the feedback received on the internet blogs and my friends.
I kept on listening the PreCast 2 hours daily and keep solving the sample exam questions at the end of the chapter. Few times also refer the PMBOK, but not thoroughly. I gave the exam for attaining 35 Hours certificate on 7th January. From this onward, I started my real preparation. As my target date was near to 1.5 month, I gear-up my speed as before this I have not started reading any other resources.
From 8th January I started to read Head First PMP- O'Really and completed the book with in 10 Days. Afterwards, I started to read the Rita Mulcahy and PMBOK together. I completed Rita Mulachy by end of the January and still PMBOK was not completed 1st time. I kept on reading PMBOK, however by this time I have started to attempt questions on Exam Simulators. I had purchased the PMP Prepcast Exam Simulator and I have attempted my 1st Exam on that and achieved 75%, I gave this exam just few days after completing the PMP Prepcast course and without reading PMBOK or any other sources, and hence I was quiet satisfied.
However I wanted to save the test on PMP Prep Simulator for last two weeks before the exam, hence I have tried to attempt exams on free available simulator on the internet.
Before two Weeks
By this time, I have completed PMBOK and Rita Mulcahy once and my target was to finish as many exam as possible. I have finished all the remaining Eight PMP Prep Simulator exams, Oliver Lehmann, and Some test from PMZest.
Moreover I would never miss to mention about the Notes of Manoj Parik which helped me a lot this was a really a comprehensive guide and great source of summary of the PMBOK and Rita Mulcahy.
My results on the Mock test were as following:
PMP Prep Simulator
1. 1st Test- 85%
2. 2nd test-75% (low because I attempted this based on only listening the Precast Course material without PMBOK reading)
3.3rd Test-80%
4.4th Test-79%
5. 5th Test-82%
6. 6th Test-85%
7. 7th Test-86.5%
8.8th Test-86%
9. 9th Test (ITTO)-82.3%
PMZest
Attempt 600 questions based on set of 100 questions
1. Failed on the free exam
2. All rest of 5 test achieved 69-70%
Oliver Lehmann
1. 75 free question-65%
2.175 free question-70%
On the day of Exam
I am located at south korea and my exam center was far from my city and I had to catch the Bullet Train and 4 hour journey to exam center so I wake up at 7 AM and got ready to catch the train. I reach to exam center 30 min before the exam. I was quiet confident but much afraid by thinking about what I will do if I fail in the exam as before few day I read several stories of people who have failed the exam even after extensive preparation and good % in the mock tests.
Anyway I enter to the center and after formality I sat in front of computer, finished the exam tutorial in 5 min and started the exam. I was not having any planed strategy for the exam but my target was to finish all the questions by 3.5 hours. I started giving the answer and found that the questions were not as easy given in the PMP-Prep Simulators,my observation about the exam questions were as following:
1. Most of the question were of 3-4 lines, few were one liner and of two Paragraphs
2. All the answers were bit tricky so it was must to read the questions 2-3 times
3. I had marked several questions for review but selected the answers for all the questions in 1st attempt instead of keeping it blank
4. 4-5 questions based on EVM/ 2 questions on critical path
5. None of the questions was directly asking about the ITTO, but few were there with detailed situational based
6. Most of the questions were what PM will do next and What PM will do, I believe that there was technical difference in what PM will do and what PM will do next. The logic what I followed was, if what PM will do Next, I look the answer in the very immediate action as PM what I would do and sometime chose the answer which were not very convincing, in case of "What PM will do", I selected the question in overall project context and not immediate action
7. As previously mentioned by other on the various blogs that there would be 15-20% questions would be out of PMBOK, however I have not found any questions which were out of PMBOK or which I have never heard of
In the 1st hours of exam I realized that I might not get time to review the questions as by the 1st hour, I have attempted only 40 questions and by 2nd hours only 90 questions
I finished all the 200 questions in 1st attempt just 2 minutes before the stipulated 4 hours and then I decided not to review the marked question and sit two minutes ideal and waited to complete the exam by itself. Exam ends automatically and asked for Survey which I have ignored and waited for the Results. After few second the result screen appear and I overjoyed and not believed on the results Overall " Above target" and individual "Above target" . Anyway it was the fact that I have cleared the exam.

Below are what shall be Do and What shall be Don't from my experience
- Read the PMBOK at least twice and Rita Mulcahy at least once.
-Don't memorized ITTO and waste the time, I read on various blogs that people try to memorize the ITTO by repeating the brain dump every day, I tried for 2-3 days and found waste of time, better read Head First and the ITTO will be fit in your mind as they have used pictorial format
-Start attempting Mock Simulator from the day you have finished any of the book once do wait till you think that you are prepared for exam
-Don't rely on free PMP mock test only spent the money on paid test based on the review, in case of paid test they are giving you insight of your deficiency area
-Attempt as many questions as you can and keep target of attempting at least 2000 with review of wrong questions at least
-Keep to attain the score in the exam above 80% in PMP Prep Simulator, and 70-75% in other exams based on the level of quetions
-Purchase the PMP Prep Simulator, as it is worth to spent money on that instead of waste money for 2nd Attempt. This simulator is quiet comprehensive and near to the actual exam, although not as tough as actual exam, but on attempting all the 9 mock test with 80-85%, you have higher chances of the passing the exam
-Another Mock test I would recommend to purchase is PMZest, which is quiet tough, I only attempted 600 questions from this but it was worth and I always achieved only 69-71%. The main reason to recommend this test is the content. Most of the questions are from PMBOK but very tricky and you will be able to fill the gaps in your knowledge on PMBOK after reviewing your wrong questions
-Attempt the free questions from Oliver Lehmann but never judge your capability for Main exam based on the results of this test as the 20% questions in the Oliver is out of PMBOK and personally I felt irrelevant ( I got 70% in that test)
-Try to read the Manoj parik notes as summary documents as many time as possible
-In the last week try to understand as many as terms from the Glossary of PMBOK by searching on the Google/ Youtube
-Don't keep your self relax on the last two days of the exam based on suggestion from various blogs, if you feel confident by reading the material till last minutes of exam, just do it (again this depends on individual's nature and characteristics ) but do not read anything new concept on the last two days. I myself stop reading just 30 minute before the exam, this was the way I was getting confidence.
-Take the normal sleep before the exam night
-During the exam don't rely on the review cycle but use Do It Right at First Attempt
-Read the questions at least two or 3 times and read all the 4 answers and confirm your self why other three options are wrong, many time it happens that I have changed my mind after reading all the answer and correlating with the keywords given in the question
-Always search the keyword in the question, most of the question will have some key words which you need to pick so that you can answer correctly.
-Especially give attention to the Odd Man Out Answer, most of the option were always related but if you find any awkward answer be alert and first prove it wrong and then take your decision

I believe, I have as much as details I can, as last I would say family support is utmost if you are married and having baby, my family supported me a lot, especially last four days when there was long weekend holiday and we have not went outside for freaking out. You can contact me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for any further assistance and queries.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karen Loney, Daniel Paul

Passed PMP in 1st Attempt with Overall"Above Target" and All 5 processes Areas with "Above Target" 6 years 2 months ago #13309

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Dharmesh,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare for and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dharmesh Kumar Jayaswal
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login