fbpx

Reply: PMP --one and done

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP --one and done

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 3 months ago #12743

Julian Taylor

Yesterday I passed the PMP exam.

I'm a so glad i'm done with the exam. What a relief. I passed the PMP on my first try with a combined Above Target score. I had above targets in initiating, planning and executing. I received a target score for monitor and controlling and a below target in closing.

My studying process:
1. Read Entire PMBOK guide. (April to September)
2. Used the PM PrepCast online course to get my PDUs . I watched all the videos and took some notes while watching. I skipped chapter/section 4 on project integration and watched it at the end. (September til the end of November)
3. Took PM PrepCast practice tests weekly. I used the wrong answers and topics i was unfamiliar to focus my areas of improvement
4. During the last month i used a lot of youtube PMP videos to supplement my learning.
5. Using chart on page 61 table 3-1 with the 47 processes. I quickly revisited each section of the PMBOK and wrote out every ITTO for each process and reread unfamiliar sections.

I've worked as PM for roughly 10 years in construction mostly. The PMI approach to project management is vastly more broad and detailed than I have ever dealt with in my career. Although some of the concepts were familiar to me, it was like learning a new language.

The online course dove deeper into the subject matter from the PMBOK guide and discussed many topics that are only mention briefly in the book. There is a lot of material to cover.

The PMP simulations exams were instrumental to my above target scope. They exposed my weak areas and topics that i needed to study. Sitting down and doing a 4-hour practice exam give you a feel for the real PMP exam. It help give me in the mental and physical experience so I knew what to expect on exam day. Overall I would say the PM PrepCast exams were harder than the PMP. The questions were longer and more detailed, if you can pass the practice exams you have a good chance at passing the PMP.

Thank you Cornelius, Justine and the enitire PM PrepCast community.
Bye for now,
Julian Taylor, new PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login