fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Nailed the PMP exam on first try !

Nailed the PMP exam on first try ! 6 years 4 months ago #12563

• Pedro Areias Fernandes
  • Pedro Areias Fernandes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After a rough night - 4 hours of interrupted sleep - I got up and kept the routine I had rehearsed in the previous day: a light breakfast, lunch at 12h30 and a 30 minute review inside the exam center.

I prepared for one year, incorporating several processes into my daily work. I read Rita’s book on my commute time. Later I watched entirely the PMP Prep Podcast and, finally, I glanced at the PMBok. I answered all the 1500 questions (and all 9 exams) in the PM Exam Simulator, my marks were lower at the beginning (71%) and higher at the end (83%).

Although I could easily complete the mock exams in 3 hours, the exam took me the whole 4 hours to the very last minute, with only three washroom breaks. As most questions were situational with several plausible responses, I had to use ponderation and my trust quickly evaporated: I did not know FOR SURE if my answers were right. Then, following a great advice I read somewhere, I smiled all through the exam thinking about my kids and wife and that joy kept me motivated.

My lessons learned from the actual exam:
* Almost all questions are scenario based, formula and critical path questions are very direct and easy,
* It ids different from the PMP Exam Simulator's questions, but the experience of practicing through all of them is REALLY important
* Keep you plane flying: get your own way of enabling all your capabilities, not only the rational but also your emotions - and that’s where you get your best judgement on situational questions.

“I bear the wounds of all the battles I avoided.” (Fernando Pessoa). I performed ‘Above Target’ on all Domains. The exam is a challenge that makes you grow and that I had a true necessity of.

Nailed the PMP exam on first try ! 6 years 4 months ago #12568

• Ammar
  • Ammar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congratulations man, Happy for you.
My exam is in 13 hours, been preparing for over a year, same approach that you mentioned, trying to incorporate PMP in my work practices as much as possible.
Really anxious though. I've prepared from Rita's book and PMBok. Also saw some online lectures about topics I found confusing.
I have tried several exam online simulations, solved over a thousand questions, and have a variety of results ranging from 93% all the way to 71%.
I always get stuck with Project Initiating and Project closing situational questions.
Any last minute advice??? (Since you are on the other side of this leap)

Nailed the PMP exam on first try ! 6 years 4 months ago #12569

• Pedro Fernandes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes: Keep you plane flying during the exam, Ammar ! Hold on to your loved ones and SMILE.
I am sure your solid preparation will do the rest.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login