fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Passed

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11581

• Nicholas Ablett
  • Nicholas Ablett's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

I passed my PMP exam yesterday (16/08/2017), 3P's 2MP's. In the spirit of this group below are my lessons learned.

Background: I studied Mechanical Engineering, have an Honours in Management of Technology (Includes Project Management) and have done my Green Belt Lean Six Sigma. I studied intensely for ±6 Weeks (4 Hours on week days, 9 Hours Weekend days)

Lessons:

1)Have a plan, set some deadlines of what you want to do by when, it can be simple, mine was all of 5 tasks, but each one reached was an achievement that built confidence.
2)It is true, you don't have to learn the ITTO's to pass, but you do need to understand the flow to see the bigger picture. If however you are good at "parrot" learning (I'm not) and not pressed for time, it won't hurt, purely because you can POTENTIALLY answer the related questions quicker.
3)Practice papers.... do them a lot.... I used PM Training as well as the free Prepcast ones. I also purchased the Prepcast Formula pack for more focused questions. In the end I had done about ±2000 questions with an average of about 85%. And the two MP's I got were the two areas indicated as my weakest in the practice.
4) Read the PMBOK guide carefully, that brief statement in the middle of a droning paragraph that seemed obvious for that area, is actually super critical.
5) Something I wish I had embraced sooner, CHILL, it is not the be all and end all, the more pressure I put on myself the more daunting and complicated the task seemed.

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aung Sint

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11597

• Aung Sint
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Congratulations, Nicholas! Thanks for sharing lessons learned. :)
Best regards,
Aung K. Sint, PMP

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11599

• Jada Garrett
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats!! How did you like the PrepCast formula pack? Formulas for me, were very daunting, and I was exploring purchasing the formula pack. Did it help you?
Jada Garrett, PMP
Community Moderator

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11600

• Nicholas Ablett
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey,

Thank you very much.

To be honest i wasn't concerned for the formulas because in comparison to University Engineering these are straight forward and intuitive if you understand the thought process behind them. For me it was more about having access to focussed practice questions with an explanation for their application. I also liked having a conclusive summary of what you are expected to know as not all are stated in the PMBOK.

Hope this helps, and as with any "maths" type skills practice is key.

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11603

• Gail Freedman, PMP, MBA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Congratulations on passing the PMP exam! Thank you for sharing your lessons learned. Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
Gail

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11609

• Gail Freedman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Congratulations Nicholas on passing the PMP exam! Thank you for sharing your lessons learned. Best of luck to you!

-Gail
Gail Freedman, MBA, PMP, CSM

PMP Passed 6 years 8 months ago #11612

• Gail Freedman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Congratulations Nicholas on passing the PMP exam! Best of luck to you.

- Gail
Gail Freedman, MBA, PMP, CSM
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login