fbpx

Reply: PMP Passed on First Attempt- My 7 steps to success

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Passed on First Attempt- My 7 steps to success

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 9 months ago #11153

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Janet,

Congratulations on passing the PMP exam and thank you for taking the time to post your lessons learned for others. Best of luck to you as a newly certified PMP.

Cheers,

Mark
6 years 9 months ago #11148

Janet Hensley

's Avatar

Before you begin preparing for this test- know how you learn. Then create a plan.

I do well by reading books, highlighting materials, flash cards, and practicing the tests.
1. Read Rita's Book: I purchased Rita's PMP Exam Prep and actively read each chapter, then took the quiz at the end of each chapter. By 'actively reading' what I did was: I highlighted important text, made special notes of areas where it said '...for the exam you'll need to...' and I made flash cards of terminology I wasn't familiar with (old school- 3x5 flashcards; but here's a good online tool: quizlet). I noted what chapter the term was from for easier review if needed. I planned-out how many chapters a week, when I'd start the exam simulator, etc. I had a target date in mind for taking the test.
2. Study Flash cards as I created them. (As I'm reading Chapter 3, I'm reviewing Flashcards from Ch. 1 & 2)
3. Read Rita's Book again- this time skimming and concentrating on the highlighted text. Take the quizzes at the end of each chapter. You can fly through the book the second time.
4. Take the PM PrepCast Exam Simulator tests. (Notice that I read the book 2x; there is nothing more frustrating that continually failing the tests). There are 9 tests, I took 5. I believed I scored about a 70% each time. This was an excellent way to get a feel for the real test. It took me about 2-2.5 hours to take the tests. At first it was all I could do to sit still for that long. After taking multiple tests, it helped me stay focused and prepare for test day. The PrepCast Exam was spot-on, very realistic, and worth every penny. Spend your money on this.
5. I took a PMP Bootcamp over 2 weekends at the pleading of a friend who wanted a study partner. This was a total waste of my time (I am a self-learner). I learned nothing because I had already learned it all on my own from Rita's book and from the PrepCast Exams. But it was a nice review before the test. By taking the course, we were given a free 30 day subscription to an exam simulator. This exam simulator was a total joke and more waste of my time. I only took one of their exams. It was NOTHING compared to the PrepCast Exams. If you are taking a bootcamp to learn (because maybe you aren't a self-learner and do well reading the book on your own) you may want a boot camp over 2 weekends. It is a lot of material to digest. If you did a 5 day course over 5 consecutive days, your brain would be fried by Friday.
6. Play Rita's Process Game: (Google it- this review won't let me put in links)
7. Take the test. Get a good night's sleep, schedule your test several weeks in advance because the test centers fill-up. Take the test at a time of day when you are at your best and most alert. Do NOT go to work the morning of the test...if there is a crisis at work, that is the last thing you need to be dealing with before your big test.

From the time I bought Rita's book until the time I took the test was 3 months. I work full time and am a single parent.

Good Luck!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login