fbpx

Reply: Passed exam at first attempt (31 days of studying)

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed exam at first attempt (31 days of studying)

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 9 months ago #11145

Anonymous

's Avatar

Thank you!
6 years 9 months ago #11142

Scott Gillard

FYI. This was a double post with a reply to each. I combined into one thread and deleted the other one. Just FYI.
6 years 9 months ago #11139

Jada Garrett

that's great. congrats Stefan. I also had the same approach to Ritas. Every question I answered incorrectly, I thoroughly researched why I got it wrong and what the correct question should be.
6 years 9 months ago #11138

Stan Po - Admin

Dear Stefan,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
6 years 9 months ago #11135

Stefan Lindmaier

I passed the exam two days ago with a score of 2 "Proficient" and 3 "Moderately Proficient". Here is what I did:
  • Attended a 35 hour training session from a certified trainer
  • Read Rita's book cover to cover twice
  • Completed 3 PM Prepcast test exams (76%, 82%, 85%)

I divded the 31 days of studying into reading every chapter of Rita's book twice (14 chapters twice, one per day, for a total of 28 days) and 3 days reserved exclusively for completing the PM Prepcast test exams. I also completed every 'test' at the end of the chapters in Rita's book twice. What I did was study the topic on a day and complete the test for that chapter on the next day. That way I made sure I stored the information in long term memory and not just short term memory.

I did not read a single page of the PMBOK guide. Didn't like the style at all and thought it would be a waste of time when Rita's book is SO much better written.

The PM Prepcast test exams where probably the biggest help I had in preparing for the real exam. The way the 4 hour test works is extremely close to the real exam software, and the pressure and tiredness one experiences when doing 4 hours of testing was simulated perfectly. It just gets hard to understand the meaning of complicated questions after a few hours, and questions that would be easy when looked at individually become hard when encountered after 3 hours of concentration.

After completing a PM Prepcast test exam I made sure to go through every single wrong answer to fully understand where I went wrong. I also made a note of all questions where I had to guess so I could review them afterwards.

To sum it up, Rita's book + the PM Prepcast was the perfect combination for me.

I don't think it matters much because the questions probably differ a lot between individuals, but I'll gladly share my experiences of the real test: I got a LOT of questions about change management and the close project or phase process group. I also had to draw 7 different network diagrams, some of them pretty complex. I didn't need any formulas besides the most basic ones (SV, CV, SPI, CPI) but I'm pretty sure that differs wildly for other people.

Whatever approach you take - good luck for your exam!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login