fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I passed my PMP exam and here is what I did!!

I passed my PMP exam and here is what I did!! 6 years 8 months ago #11079

• Kristine Mier
  • Kristine Mier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you so much, PM Prep Cast, for helping me to study for my exam! I received 3 Ps and 2 MPs.
This journey started a year ago as I was looking for a way to use my professional development time and funds. I had no idea preparing for the PMP would be so challenging!
Here is what I did (mostly thanks to Cornelius' tips):
-Read through the PMBOK once.
-Listened/watched all the PM Prep Cast podcasts.
-Read Rita's PMP Prep book thoroughly taking all chapter end tests
-At this point, I scheduled my exam for 3 months out, which really helped create urgency
-Created a study plan that I posted where I would see it daily
-Joined several LinkedIn study groups and read discussions, answered questions, and posted questions regularly (I live in rural where no has a clue what PMP means, otherwise, I would have joined a chapter or an in-person study group)
-Took 2 simulation exams
-Created flash cards and a spreadsheet of all ITTOs
In the last month leading up to my exam, I listened again to PM Prepcast podcast on processes I was not comfortable and skimmed the knowledge areas in Rita's book and the PMBOK. I also took all but one of the simulation exams offered through PM Prepcast Exam Simulator, as well as several other 50-100 question exam simulators from other recommended free sources to get an experience with different formats and questions. I read a lot of articles and had many discussions with my PMP friends. I also started practicing 'brain dumps' writing out all of the processes and formulas. I was still able to carry on my volunteer activities and most of my social life, but basically stopped working out the last 2 weeks and kept social engagements super limited - I'm sure my friends and boyfriend got tired of me saying no to activities all the time. I started to wonder if I was over preparing and wasting time, but was somewhat comforted that I was learning SO much.
I can assure you, that during the 4 arduous hours during the exam, the thought never crossed my mind that I over prepared - it was quite the opposite - I felt I hadn't prepared enough. I love multiple choice exams! But this exam is a beast and definitely the hardest test I've ever taken. I did end up using time in the beginning of the exam to do a brain dump - not because I needed to since I had it all memorized - but because I couldn't hear myself think over the sound of my heart beat from the anxiety and stress I was experiencing at the beginning - it really helped me calm down and center myself , along with some deep breathing. I love math and was so ready for a lot of EVM questions, but only had a total of 7 math-based questions. I ended up marking 70% of my questions as I was not sure. They were almost all situational with most of them asking what was next or what should have been done where at least 2 out of 4 answers were right and some seemed to lack enough info to make a good decision - I was so perplexed! My best advice: really understand the processes, make a study plan, be strategic, over prepare and prepare some more.
Thank you, PM Prepcast, for helping me become a PMP!!
Kristine Mier

I passed my PMP exam and here is what I did!! 6 years 8 months ago #11085

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Kristine,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login