fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: I Did It!!! Passed First Attempt

I Did It!!! Passed First Attempt 6 years 9 months ago #11071

• Harry
  • Harry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sooooo excited this is over with, I always use to read other lessons learned from this site as motivation in hopes that I would one day be writing my own, and here we go!

Total Prep time: 5 months

Read Rita Once - I didn't really like this book as much as others did, it certainly is a must read but it is more than what you need to pass the exam. If you are strictly focused on passing the exam like I was and not worried about adding armor to your Project Management knowledge, I would just skim this book. Make sure to answer the questions after each chapter, this will help you determine what area you need to focus on.

YouTube - Once I read/skimmed through a chapter in Rita, I would review the chapter using free videos on YouTube. Their are plenty of videos out there that discuss each knowledge area. I would create my own notes after watching the videos, this was a big help.

Read Head First PMP - This book was amazing! This really breaks down the PM methodology in a comprehendible way. It's super easy to understand and has a bunch of pictures that help you remember certain concepts.

Simulator - The Prepcast Simulator was my best tool. It really helped me focus on where I needed to brush up my studies. I always read the answers I got wrong and tried to understand why. Majority of the simulator exams were similar, and by similar I mean they put you in the right frame of mind and help you answer questions on the real exam such as "what would you do next." I have seen plenty of people write in their lessons learned "Don't even try the real PMP exam if you are not scoring at least or over 80%". I strongly disagree, I never hit 80% once, I was close, but never got over that hump and that was really making me worried.

My Simulator scores were
Exam 1: 77%
Exam 2: 76%
Exam 3: 75%
Exam 4: 79%

The hardest thing for me to do was to cover my gaps, I hated it but I grinded through by taking learning exams in that particular knowledge area and it help.

Study Buddy - I found a study buddy using this site and it was the best decision. We connected 2-3 times a week for 2 months via skype and would take exams together using the simulator, talk about questions we marked wrong and why, shared a bunch of material, watched videos together and lastly, kept each other motivated! There were plenty of times where I just wanted to give up, but my study buddy kept me going!

I finished my exam in 2hrs and 45mins. I went in there well prepared, I refused to lose!!!!!!!!!
My PMP Exam scores:
Initiating - P
Planned - MP
Executing - MP
Monitor and Controlling - MP
Closing BP

The Exam:
Aloooooooooooot of change management questions, make sure you know the change request process like the back of your hand. I would strongly recommend the simulator add more questions on change management, not much that I saw.
I had only a few formula questions, most of them were SPI and CPI.
Not even 1 project selection calculations.
Know your tools and what they are used for.
Did not have any direct Input questions, however knowing which input was in which process helped on some questions.
1 network diagram question.
About 80% of my exam was situational.

Good luck to all those studying. Stay motivated, it is definitely possible. Use the simulator, I found my self in similar scenarios during the actual exam because I used the simulator so much. It definitely helps!

Harry, PMP

I Did It!!! Passed First Attempt 6 years 9 months ago #11083

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Harry,

Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and lessons learned. We are glad to hear that our products helped you prepare and pass your exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login