fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed in 1st try / Lessons Learned

Passed in 1st try / Lessons Learned 6 years 10 months ago #10854

• Ali Irfan
  • Ali Irfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I passed on my first try of the PMP exam. The following is what helped me prepare for the exam:
1) I used Rita and Head First book in addition to the PMBOK. I did not read PMBOK until i read the 2 books and that helped me understand PMBOK a lot better than if i tried to read PMBOK first.
2) I have a full time job so during the work days i would come home and spend at least 1 hour if not 2 reading, understanding the aforementioned books. Over the weekend i studied 3-4 hours each of the 2 days. The key here is not skip daily reading no matter what (even if you could spare 30 minutes do make it a habit to read, this keeps you in the right frame of mind)
3) I listened to Cornelius Podcast every day to work (i had a 45 minutes commute each way). I would listen to the podcast and then read up on the same topics when i got home.
4) I prepared my own cards for each process with Inputs, T&T and outputs and summary of my understanding of each one of them.
5) I scheduled my exam on Tuesday and took Monday and Tuesday off. This gave me a chance to study for 3 days uninterrupted.
6) I took practice tests (partial tests: 30 questions at a time) periodically. I used prep cast simulator.
7) I took 3 full exam; the 3rd exam the day before the PMP exam. on my last sample exam i got 89% and i felt that i was ready to take the exam.
I hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Passed in 1st try / Lessons Learned 6 years 10 months ago #10857

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Congratulations Ali! Thank you for taking the time to post your lessons learned to the forum. Best of luck to you as a new PMP.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login