fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP exam on the first try on April 18, 2017

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP exam on the first try on April 18, 2017

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 10 months ago #10586

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

Thanks! I am, on rare occasions, blessed with clarity of thought! ;)
6 years 10 months ago #10585

Scott Gillard

I love the format of this thread. It's very organized. Congratulations!
6 years 10 months ago #10563

Tracy Shagnea, PMP

I'm going to summarize my approach. I did it a bit differently than many appear to do, though the fundamentals are similar. I'll tell you what I ended up doing rather than giving you the experiences along the way that led to how I finally executed (otherwise, this post will be so long that no one will be able to read it).

1. Spent a few hours online (over a few weeks, not all at once) reading examples of various approaches to preparing.

2. Talked with a few co-workers who were already PMP certified to get their input/advice.

3. Chose a multistage approach so that I could have some milestones along the way (with the accompanying sense of accomplishment/progress to keep the energy and enthusiasm up):

3.1. Stage 1 - Get PDUs necessary to apply to PMI to sit for the exam.

After reviewing the market, I chose the PM Prepcast, went through the course, and passed the exam. I live in a small house and Cornelius Fichtner's lessons were heard by everyone in the home to varying degrees. We still occasionally do a fond imitation of his accent. You're practically a member of the household, Cornelius!

3.2. Stage 2 – Compile my work history & line up people to validate my experience (former employers, etc.)

This is necessary for PMI to validate you have the requisite work experience.

3.3. Stage 3 – Complete & Submit the PMI application for PMP Certification

3.4. Stage 4 – Study

In brief:

· I used Rita’s book but I did NOT read the PMBOK cover to cover. I only used it to look up things about which I was confused or uncertain. Do the exam at the end of each chapter and review the answers to both the questions that you got wrong as well as the ones you answered correctly. Reviewing the correct answers is reinforcement for when you understand the material and an even greater help when you discover that you chose the right answer but, perhaps, for the wrong reason!

· The PM Prepcast’s Formula Study Guide was a perfect way for me to study and refresh myself on the various calculations and definitions. It is simultaneously concise as well as being everything I needed for the related types of questions.

· Don’t memorize ITTOs.

· DO memorize the infamous Table 3.1 – Knowing the processes as they relate to the Process Groups and Knowledge Areas (and brain-dumping it) helped me as I referred to it a few times during the exam to either figure out the correct answer or to simply re-assure myself that I was on the right track.

· DO a brain dump. Practice writing it at least 3 times a day for at least a month prior to the exam date, until it just flows out naturally. Even under the new brain dump rules promulgated by PMI, I found it worth the time to do it after the test started but prior to answering the 1st question.

3.5. Stage 5 – Practice Exams

Here again I went with the PM Prepcast product - PM Exam Simulator. In the end, I completed the two free exams plus 3 of the full-blown, 200 question 4-hour exams. Three key points here:

· Don’t take the actual PMP exam without doing a (few) full practice exams. You really need to experience the stress of the time limit and the mental/physical demands of sitting and taking a non-trivial test for 4 straight hours. Maybe other people don’t find this difficult, but I’m very glad I didn’t experience the test for the 1st time on exam day!

· After you complete each exam, review all the questions you got wrong as well as any that you guessed at or about which you were uncertain. I learned a great deal about the material in this way.

· I categorized the questions I got wrong on the exam so I could see if there was commonality about the types of mistakes I was making or the topics in which I was weak. The most important thing that jumped out: Initially I made lots of mistakes because I didn’t read the question carefully and missed because I rushed or was impatient to move on. Otherwise, a wrong question was just something that I just needed to understand a bit better (a process definition or where an ITTO was applied).

3.6. Finally – Sit for the exam

Prometric, for $30, will let you schedule a “Test Drive” prior to your actual exam day. You go in and they walk you through the check-in procedure, etc. I found this really helped me approach exam day more calmly. They answered all my questions, had me take a “fake test” (the questions have nothing to do with the PMP exam) sitting at a computer in their facility just as you do for the real exam. If this is an option for you, I highly encourage it.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login