fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed exam on my first try!

Passed exam on my first try! 7 years 1 month ago #9978

• Robert Pidwerbesky
  • Robert Pidwerbesky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Reading all the positive messages on here is great!

MY exam prep experience...
I passed my exam on 3/08/17 ( first try)

Below is the list of my study activities.
1. Watched PrepCast videos.. that took my about 3 months in total.
2. Memorized formulas and Knowledge Areas and Process Groups. Practiced writing them all out each day the week before the exam.
3. Practiced Critical Path Method.
4. Googled videos on areas that I needed to improve in.
6. Used the PMBOK only.
7. I did some research and discovered that there are only about 5-6 questions that need the ITTO's memorized. I didnt bother trying to memorize them.
8. I did a lot of learned exams from Prepcast. Not too many timed ones as I felt is was beneficial for ME to learn each question I go wrong as I went.

I will say that I was a senior PM for a large IT company for 24 yrs... last 15 as a PM. So I do have some experience.

The exam is long! My lessons learned here was taking a 4hrs exam at home is much different than doing it under the stress of the real exam! At the half way mark I was 20 mins ahead of schedule. I took a 10 minute break... washed my face, stretched and reset. oh and I have a progressive glasses.. I wish I brought my reading only glasses. My monitor was higher thatn normal and my neck was a little sore tilting my head up for that long!

I guess each exam is a little different. I spent the last few days before the exam doing critical chain ( forward and backward), memorizing all the process groups and formulas. For my exam there were only very simple questions in each area. I was disappointed!

I found the test questions a little harder than a lot of practice exams questions. Not the questions themselves but the answers. most of the practice exam questions you could easily through out 2 of the answers. The PMI exam.. you couldnt normally do that!

Example...
question: What is your favorite color?
Answers:
1. blue ( yes that is my favorite color... this must be the answer)
2. yellow ( nope.. not a big fan of yellow. )
3. black ( ah not even a color.)
4. light blue ( do like light blue. it is in fact the my favorite color... but doesnt #1 blue cover light blue?

I had a few questions like that. sometimes a keyword would eliminate a possible answer. sometimes not.

The prepcast exam had a lot of ITTO type questions in a typical practice exam ( I guess to get their number of questions up) but typically you dont have that many ITTO questions on the exam.

Good luck everyone!

Passed exam on my first try! 7 years 1 month ago #9984

• Stan Po - Admin
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 129
Dear Robert Pidwerbesky,

Congratulations on passing your PMP exam!

Thank you for sharing your success and posting your lessons learned. Very interesting and valuable input regarding the answer choices on the real exam.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Regards,
Stan Po, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM, CIPP
Product and Program Manager
OSP International LLC

Passed exam on my first try! 7 years 1 month ago #9996

• Tayo Adedeji
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Congratulations. It must be a good feeling.

Passed exam on my first try! 7 years 1 month ago #10000

• Robert Pidwerbesky
  • Robert Pidwerbesky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone else not like the terms they use for scoring the exam?

Proficient – indicates performance is above the average level of knowledge in this domain.
Moderately Proficient – indicates performance that is at the average level of knowledge in this domain.
Below Proficient – indicates performance is below the average level of knowledge in this domain.

Shouldnt it be...
Above Proficient – indicates performance is above the average level of knowledge in this domain.
Proficient – indicates performance that is at the average level of knowledge in this domain.
Below Proficient – indicates performance is below the average level of knowledge in this domain.

Its the word "Moderately". It sounds like you are not quite proficient. Yet the description depicts that you are??

Anyone feel the same?

Passed exam on my first try! 7 years 1 month ago #10001

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Robert,

No matter how I or you feel about these, don't forget the two most important facts:
  1. This is how PMI is doing it and no matter how much we argue they are (probably) not going to change it anytime soon.
  2. You have passed the exam and you are now a PMP. Nobody will EVER ask you about your proficiency levels. Nobody. Ever. And if they do then please send them to me... ;)
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login